Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Cassie Willow was wide awake.She couldn't fall asleep.She was at her aunt and uncle's, as usual. Her parents had died when she was 4.She was very excited,since her aunt and uncle would take her to her parents' house once a year.It was in the countryside, that stood the enormous mansion. She had often wondered why they didn't move in. It was unoccupied, Just left there to rot, and she had seen the gleam of jealousy in their eyes whenever they came. They probably thought it was haunted. She chuckled at the thought.

Next to the mansion, was an old run-down broom cupboard, and a willow tree. Was is really seven years ago that she had been playing under the tree with her parents? She remembered it like it was yesterday; she was running around the tree, trying to reach the branches, with her dad tailing her closely. Then her mom had said that they had to go into the city and do unfinished buisness, and Cassie was to stay with her aunt and uncle for the night.

'It'll be alright,' her mother had crooned in her ear , smoothing out Cassie's dirty blond locks. 'We'll be back in a jiffy.' Those were the last words her mother had said to her, and she had hung tight to them, but the next morning, her aunt had her informed; that they had died in a car accident. She didn't quite understand the word. What would happen to someone that died? What did they do? She tried to picture some ghosts playing golf.

But she was eleven now, and was quite independant. Her aunt and uncle hadn't treated her like their own daughter, but they were family. Sure, they didn't comfort her when she seemed down, or offer to read her books before bedtime(when she was young, anyway. She would have thought they had gone loopy if they tried to read her stories at this age),or,well, treat her like her cousin Derrick. Derrick always got what he wanted.

Not that she was jealous; he was spoiled rotten, and he still couldn't tie his own shoelaces. Cassie looked at her alarm clock. It was 4:30 a.m. She suddenly felt very drowsy, and fell asleep immediately. She had a dream about a castle with flying broomsticks and talking paintings, and woke up to the sound of very loud beeping.