Party Leads to Disaster

Inside the house was darkness. Except for the few disco lights. Stereos were blaring all around the house. It looked so small; how could such a small house contain so many people? Everywhere, there were couples and friends. And, in every person's hand, was a cup of alcohol. I tensed, walking through the crowds in search of somewhere I could be alone.

Suddenly, someone's arms were wrapped around me and I was pushed against the wall. "Hey..." It was a guy. One I hadn't met yet. His breath stank of alcohol, making me gag. "What's the matter, sweetie? Don't like to party?" I pushed him away from me. "It's not the party I have a problem with. It's the drunk dicks like you I have a problem with." Before the drunk guy could make a move, another boy stepped between us. "Screw off! Leave her alone!"

Soul?

When the drunk guy stormed off, Soul turned around, grabbing my wrist. "Follow me!" He shouted over the music. Reluctantly, I followed him through the house and up some stairs, holding my breath the entire time. Upstairs, Soul opened a door, escorted me inside, and shut the door behind him. I panted, holding onto a nightstand. "You okay?" He asked, his voice filled with concern. I nodded, regaining my composure. "Yeah. Just too much adrenaline in one day; that's all." I didn't see him nod, but I had a feeling he did.

"I'm sorry that guy was all over you. I hate it when people bring beer to parties; ruins all the fun..." He apologized sincerely. I laughed coldly. "Yeah. I know." I sat down on the edge of a bed and he sat down beside me. "My bedroom is the only room no one ever goes into. Don't know why, but I hope this isn't weird for you." I shook my head. "Nah. If you try anything..." I willed a scythe to skillfully appear from my forearm. Soul grinned and laughed. "I wouldn't try anything on you. You're bad ass. I've seen you fight Kid; I don't plan on being in his position any time soon!"

The bedroom door burst open, and a drunk-looking Maka stood in the door. "Soul--" She stopped cold when she saw me. "Why the fuck is she in here with you?" She demanded. I tensed; what the hell was her deal? Soul looked at her, confused. "Shit, Maka! Who gave you beer?" "Don't avoid my question, Soul!" He sighed. "Look, nothing's going on. Some dickhead had her pushed against the wall and--"

"Hmph!" Maka crossed her arms over her chest. "Good! Little bitch deserves it!" Soul stood up, anger written all over his face, but I was up, too. And already in Maka's face.

A scythe was pressed neatly against her neck, and she was pressed against the wall. "Watch what you say, Maka. And don't talk to Soul like that; he's your weapon and would give his damn life for you, I assume! So back the fuck up, go back downstairs, and enjoy the rest of the damn party." I hissed, moving away from her. She glared at me, then glared at Soul, and left the room, slamming the door.

When I turned around, Soul was stock-still. "What did you just do?"

What!?

I gaped at him. "What the hell are you talking about? She was--"

"She was drunk! She didn't mean any of that!" I looked at the ceiling, fighting the urge to fight him.

"Then how do you explain the glares she shoots me when she's sober? Huh! You're her weapon, you ought to know!" Soul looked as if he were trying to come up with a slick excuse to get both himself and Maka out of this, but I didn't give him time.

I turned around and held the door knob. "You know what? Fuck it. I don't even know why I came to this party. Kid and his damn weapons were sitting on my doorstep, invited me to a party Maka was hosting. 'Sure! Why the hell not?' Well, this is why not!" I pulled the door open and jogged down the stairs, pushing away peoples' hands.

Soul ran down the stairs after me. "Wait! Hold on, just wait a second!" He sounded desperate and guilty, as if he wanted to apologize. I shook my head and walked to the door. Where Kid met me. "What's up? Leaving already?" I nodded. "Yep!" And pulled the door open.