Back on My Feet

Kira's POV

Two days after that guy Ryuu brought the flower, I was up and moving around. Weak, granted, but I was back in my classes.

Apparently, I was excused of sleeping in any of my classes due to the poison. I didn't take advantage of this, and only slept when I was desperately tired. And, even then, I was recording everything the teacher said while I slept.

I kept thinking about how Ryuu saved my life, and how he would periodically check on me just to make sure I was okay and the Locust hadn't stopped working. It hadn't, and I was fine, but I didn't mind him asking. He was sweet, and very caring. Sometimes, I wondered if Death got jealously protective when he came around, but I never bothered to ask.

The final bell rang, bringing me from my thoughts. Dad was clearing off the board. He looked exhausted, and he'd been isolating himself from everyone lately. I had no idea what was wrong with him, but I didn't like it.

Death stood beside me, and frowned as he looked down at the door. Ryuu was waiting outside.

I'd learned that, despite his extensive knowledge, Ryuu was in the NOT class. NOT stood for "Normally Overcome Target". Death and I were in the EAT class, which stood for "Especially Advantaged Talent". Only ten percent of students were in the EAT class, and I guess I could be considered pretty lucky.

Once I made it outside, I stopped by Ryuu. "Hey, could we talk?" I asked politely. His eyes flashed in curiosity and cautiousness, but he nodded. "Sure!"

Death and the others left, the halls clearing. I sighed as we walked in a comfortable silence.

"You saved my life, Ryuu. That's what this is about." I started. He smiled softly, then shook his head.

"I already told you it didn't mean anything. You don't have to hang out with me just because I brought you a flower."

I stopped. "Ryuu, that's not at all what I meant! If you think I'm just hanging out with you because you brought the Locust, you're wrong!" I paused as we both stopped. "I'm hanging out with you because you're a good guy and you're nice to be around."

Ryuu processed this and smiled. "Thanks, Kira." I bit my lip, uncertain if what I was about to would be the right thing.

"You said you've been having trouble finding a Weapon." I said. He nodded slowly, seeming nervous. "Well, how about I be your Weapon?"

He gaped at me. "Y-You!"

I nodded.

"I-In the EAT class!"

I nodded again.

"Be a Weapon of a NOT student!"

I rolled my eyes. "I did some research, okay? If you become my Meister, you automatically get pulled into EAT classes, so you won't be a NOT student anymore. Plus, I think you've got the heart to train like I do, and you've got the patience I don't." I blushed slightly. "But you'll have to give me time... I'm not used to being in my Weapon form, or transforming."

Ryuu was quiet for a long time, and I shifted from one foot to the other anxiously. Finally, he grinned and nodded. "I'll be your Meister, Kira!" I bit the inside of my cheek, smiling brightly. "Thanks, Ryuu. I'm sure we'll make great Partners!" I shook his hand in excitement. He laughed, and we started towards my home to start training.

****

Giriko's POV

"How did that brat find another Locust!" Arachne hissed, losing her cool. I expertly hid a smirk behind a bottle of beer. "Gah! We'll never get Kira back like this!" She frowned at Mosquito's pessimistic attitude.