First Mission

*+*

The cobble was rather menacing, the sky dark and gloomy. The moon wasn't smiling at all, it was an evil grin, its eyes an eery red glow. I ran past buildings set on fire, panting. Screams echoed throughout the streets, childrens' cries.

I looked around, desperately searching for an answer. How many people were hurt? How many people were already dead?

Something grabbed my arm with a slimy tentacle and I jumped, turned in the air, and sliced it into a soul with the blades protruding from my ankles, calves, and thighs. I quickly swallowed the soul and kept running. One crucial question echoed in my blurred thoughts,

Where was Soul?

I turned a corner and was tackled. I gasped and fell under the being, who felt more human than beast. I looked up at the face and saw it was Soul. He grabbed my forearm and picked me up, practically dragging me down the street in the other direction.

Soul was saying something I couldn't hear, and I turned to look over my shoulder--

*+*

I sat up in bed, panting for breath. I was sweating, and the blankets were thrown everywhere. I looked at the clock; four o'clock in the morning. I sighed and pressed a hand to my forehead. My hair was sticking to the back of my neck, irritating me.

Deciding it would be best to wash up and clean my sheets, I got out of bed. I turned on my light and walked into my bathroom. I splashed water on my face and grabbed a rag. I carefully wiped away all the sweat. I'd take a shower before I cleaned my sheets.

My bathroom, once again, smelled of the beautiful mixture of black orchid and fiery orange rose with passionfruit. I inhaled the aroma as I exited the bathroom. I had my hair up in a clip. My black skinny jeans contrasted perfectly with my white shirt with "SKRILLEX" printed on it in bold, black text. I slipped on some flats and grabbed my sheets.

I shoved them into my washer machine and sat down on my couch, watching t.v.

***

I woke with a jerk. I looked at the clock on my wall and saw that it was near time for me to leave for DWMA. I looked around, not remembering having fallen asleep. I turned off the t.v. with a crisp press of a button on the remote, then ran to make sure my sheets hadn't spoiled.

Fortunately, and thankfully, they didn't spoil. So I threw them in the dryer, grabbed my phone and headphones and a black jacket, and started out the door.

Jogging through the streets was a breeze now. I'd memorized the way through the academy and through the streets so I could find my way there and back. Occasionally, glimpses of my nightmare came back to me. My stomach growled, temporarily taking my attention away from the dream.

Something had been going on in the dream. It was very clear, and the expression Soul had was very scary. Soul seemed like the type of guy who never freaked out; the kind of guy that was always calm.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts, as I stepped up the stairs of DWMA. I caught a few appreciative stares on my way through the school, but other than that, all was perfectly normal.

"Claire!"

I turned my head at the sound of my name. Soul and Maka were standing at a board. Soul motioned me over and I slowly made my way over. "Yeah?" I said, looking over it all. It was pretty much a board of missions. Some had tags over them, while others didn't. I raised a brow, looking at the one Soul was pointing at. "That's ours today."

A lump formed in my throat and I couldn't speak as a giggle sounded in my head. Let's just say it wasn't mine. I frowned and nodded. I swallowed a few times until the lump was gone. "Right. So are we staying after school or going immediately after or...?" Soul laughed his famous laugh and I smiled warmly. "We'll go when we go." Maka frowned and shook her head, but said nothing.