Chapter 31 | Late

When she told David about the running with Killian he told her that it was an amazing idea and that she should just have fun with all what was going on.

Though, that plan had to be delayed.

It was the beginning of December and it had started snowing almost every day.
Unless they were going to build snowmen, they were staying at home.

School went by and they finally were in winter break.

Between the successive visits to the court, having to face Regina and answer hurtful questions, David had already a house in mind, one that Mary Margaret had pointed on the newspaper when he was having lunch with her and - weirdly - Ms Blanchard had joined them and helped them choosing.

A week after and they were already moving everything.
The house had 3 bedrooms and was already furnished - well the only thing they had to take with them was a table & chairs and also a new bed for Emma's bedroom.

Emma's bedroom's walls were white but David had promised her that with time, they'd change her bedroom just the way she wanted.

When Elsa, Anna, Jeff, Killian and Will - they had added her to their whatsapp group some time ago - were planning to meet up at the mall or something and Emma said she couldn't that day because she'd be helping her father bringing in the things, they told her they'd be there to help her and her father and they weren't lying.

What was supposed to be an afternoon at the mall was traded by a day building a IKEA bed, table and chairs with them - well except Jefferson and Anna that really had to study.

Another week passed and one night Ms Blanchard had dinner with them at their house - David had invited.

It was weird and Emma was afraid to hear why he had invited her teacher for dinner at their house so she decided not to ask and take it like it was totally normal.

The dinner went surprisingly great, she and Mary Margaret laughed a lot because none of the women had ever seen David so hilarious and happy and just relaxed like he was that night.

She even thought the adults would just talk and she'd be quiet during the meal but no, they always made sure she was in the conversation.

She really found it weird to call her Miss Blanchard so she always avoided calling her, only when it was really necessary. And when it happened, she told her she could just call her Mary Margaret when they weren't in class.

This was getting really weird.

Christmas came and they spent it just the three of them.

At the Jones' house, Liam was working that night to get a good amount of money and Killian was just watching something live on his TV. At least that would make him company.

There hasn't been a Christmas tree since his mother and 3-seconds-old sister's departure, and even though the first Christmas after her death their father had given them presents, he had started to just give them money not really bothering on buying anything until now that, there was no father at all. No present at all. No one at all. Just him.
And his Swan on the phone.

Unlike him, Emma had for the first time in a long while Christmas presents for her under her tree.
One looked like a folded paper and another one had the format of a box.
Neal had two big boxes and she knew the size had nothing to do with the value of the present - not that she'd really care, having a present was already the best.

Emma used to be a really envious child back in the system. Seeing the other kids getting adopted? They had homes and parents and toys and everything that she would never get. But by age thirteen she finally understood the world was not a fair place and that jealousy got her nowhere.

She had also bought a present to David with Neal. After going to the mall in secret and finding out that they really didn't know what their father could possibly want, they decided to just frame pictures of the three of them to decorate the blank walls of the new house.
Well they also bought a chocolate bar for him that said "BEST FATHER" (it was Neal's idea and he wouldn't let her leave the mall without it.)

The morning after, everyone opened their presents. Neal got a castle of legos and a full edition of coloring books - it had at least 15 books (that's some serious stuff).

Emma got a box full of clothes (also with two beautiful dresses!!!) and even sneakers so that she could start running whenever she wanted.
(David later admitted Mary Margaret had helped him choosing the pieces of cloth, and even though her teacher's style had nothing to do with hers, she quite understood her type)

One of her favorites was a red leather jacket with two pockets and a zipper.

And then she opened the other gift.
It was an envelope and she couldn't help but being scared.
This would be something serious for sure.

She wasn't expecting really, when she saw an Adoptive Services letter.
One saying that from now on, she belonged to David Nolan.
The papers of divorce had been signed 2 weeks ago, and here she was, finally happy.
Which scared her because, as always, when everything seemed too good, something would happen.

---

After New Year, school was about to start again.

She hadn't been talking with Killian a lot lately, and they really haven't had the opportunity of deciding whether she'd want more than a friendship with him or just stay in the safe zone.

She had improved a lot, though.

At first she didn't know if she could trust him.
Now, she just didn't know if she could do it without screwing it up.

On her first day of school of the 2nd term, they arrived at the same time and when he was going to greet her with a kiss on the cheek she turned her face to kiss him.

She had missed him and damn this had really just happened and she just wanted to hide but a happy smile formed on her face because finally she had gained the courage.

However, her smile didn't correspond to his and when he opened his eyes, she only saw rage and sadness. He hadn't slept that much from the bags under his eyes that she could see.

"Oh so now it isn't a one-time thing?" he really didn't mean to sound so snippy but he couldn't control it.

"I thought we both wanted this...? What happened? You don't look okay."

"I'm late to class. That's why."

And he walked away.

|OK OK I PROMISE THEY'LL BE TOTALLY OKAY AFTER NEXT CHAPTER DONT KILL ME|