Chapter Eighteen

Ray -

School returned shortly after the weirdest weekend of my life. I'm surprised that Jake and I haven't been nominated for the weirdest stepfamily ever. I can just see us winning an award for this shit. I'm not ashamed to be seen with Jake at school anymore, I'm now actually telling people that we are in fact bros. Michael doesn't pick on him anymore, he doesn't even hang with me. Not that I'm complaining.

We burst through the hallway doors. Walking in slow motion as all the girls check us out. Ha, if only they knew. Stopping at Jacobs locker he looked worried about something. I place my arm on the locker above his head, examining his features.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I touched his arm with my other hand, he backed up a bit looking nervous. Shaking and such.

He sighed and looked at me, "what's the event your dads' brothers wedding is holding?"

"Oh, bike riding, it's my uncles' favorite thing in the world, he always dreamed of riding down a hill with his newly wedded wife and his family riding behind." He stiffened, froze like his spirit left his body just standing there zoned out.

"Jacob, what's going on with you?"

"I can't, I can't ride a bike..."

"Hahaha, what?"

"It's not funny Ray!" He pouted, shoving his bag in his locker. "Whatever I shouldn't have told you."

"Aww come on Jakey, it's not that big of a deal," he walked away flicking me off in response.

I don't see why he's making a big ass deal of not knowing how to ride a bike. I didn't know how to ride one when I was like five. His dramatic ass making a big ass deal out of nothing.

Ugh.

~

So to my surprise, he has been ignoring me most of the day. We planned to sit with each other at lunch but he just ditched. Does he have a bad background story about riding bikes? Or what?

The drive back home was even more awkward. He glared at me, making me uncomfortable. It began to get on my nerves. This is stupid. He's gone talk to me whether he likes it or not!

"Jacob!" I shouted, freighting him. He slammed hard on the brakes, at the stop sign. We both flew forward, with me hitting the dashboard and him hitting the steering wheel making the horn honk.

Damn didn't mean to make him shit his pants. "Whoa, what the fuck Ray?"

"What the fuck you! You weren't even paying attention to the road."

"Yes, I was!" He whined defensively. "Why have you been ignoring me? Is it because I brought up the bike thing? Do you have a bad background story involving one?"

"I'm not ignoring you..."

"Jake, you asked me to sit with you at lunch, I saw your ass look at me then walk away with some chick," We then broke out in a huge ass argument about—nothing, this argument has no reason. It had nothing to do with the real thing I was trying to get out of him

"Why are you getting jealous that I'm hanging out with a girl?"

"What? No this isn't about the girl!"

"We're not even together, I can sit with a girl if I want to!"

"This is not about the fucking girl! Fuck that fucking girl!"

"Then why are you bringing it up? So what if I didn't want to sit with you, I changed my mind!"

"This is not about lunch and sitting together or being together, this is about you ignoring me for no damn reason and a fucking bike."