Chapter 1 - Stanford

This was beginning to get frustrating for Randy. He has been trying to get Sarah to notice him throughout their high school and it's been to no avail. He was even thinking of applying to Stanford just because he knew she would be attending there.

Was he a stalker? No. He liked to view himself as someone that was relentless and always went after what he wanted.

"Randy I asked you a question" he heard the teacher saying.

Looking up he realized she was already standing beside his seat. Not again, he thought. His mind was wandering again. Like always, he glanced at Sarah first then back at the teacher.

"I'm sorry ma. I didn't hear the question" he heard the others laughing.

Yeah, he'd become an object of amusement.

"Quiet" he heard the teacher say.
"I asked for the summary of the literature book you were meant to read for this class. That's assuming you read it".

She was making him uncomfortable and making him look stupid. In front of Sarah; could this day get any worse? He didn't even remember to read the damn book. He looked down at his palms which were already sweating and quietly wiped it on his pants. He glanced towards Sarah and could see her friend whispering something to her and laughing. Yeah!It just got worse.

"Randy?"

Oh! He'd totally forgotten about the teacher.

"I didn't read it. I forgot to".

Again, everyone burst into laughter.
"Now that's not a surprise."

Every other sound became distant to him. He really had to stop making himself look like a fool if he wanted Sarah. And just on cue, the bell went off.

"That boy is so dumb" said Helen, Sarah's friend.

"He is not dumb. Just distracted"

"By you.." chipped in Lois and they all laughed.
As they approached their lockers, Helen looked over Sarah and saw Randy walking towards them.

"Here he comes".

"Hi Sarah, can I talk to you for a minute?" asked Randy

"You could really use some of that confidence in class." Said Helen and laughing they walked out on him.

He just stood there looking at her. He didn't know what else to do; she won't even give him a chance. They were graduating from high school in two weeks and he still hasn't gotten close to her. He made up his mind to apply into Stanford, and major in Law; he knew that was the major she got a scholarship to study.

Back home, Sarah's younger sister Jules was disturbing her about Randy.

"He is so cute, why don't you just give him a chance"

"Mum would go crazy if she finds out. You know she likes me being with Austin and Randy is so not my type. Plus Helen thinks he is dumb".

"And what about you? How would you know he isn't your type if you wont give him a chance? How do you really feel?" asked Jules.

Looking up, Sarah raised her eyebrows; "sometimes I wonder if you and Randy are besties or something. You always seem to push me to talk about him. Anyways I'm dating Austin and I still have school to think about. Can't afford to be distracted".

Jules scoffed but let her be. She knew she wouldn't get more out of her. They talked about other things and she was content, for now.

High school soon came to an end and it was time for graduation. Sarah was the best graduating student and she gave the graduation speech. Her parents were very proud of her and so were the parents of others as regards to their kids. They were all happy to face the next step of their life.