Chapter 2 - The Mixer

It was soon morning and Monday. Polly managed to help her get the schedule for the freshmen's orientation and then showed her the classroom. She settled in one of the seats, already dreading the long talks and tours, especially the fact that she'd face them alone. Sighing as she glanced around, she soon saw Helen and motioned to her. She'd never been more happier seeing someone.

"Where have you been?" Helen asked as she hugged her.

"I should be asking you the same question. I've been in school since yesterday."

"Me too. How come we never ran into each other at the house?"

"I don't know. What house you at?"

"Sigma Theta Psi"

"That explains it. Polly told me there were two houses. I'm at Sigma Psi Zeta."

"Oh! Who is Polly?"

"She is my roommate"

"It's funny that we both somehow forgot to use our phones". Said Helen and they both laughed at that.

They chatted about the school, and their new roommates while waiting for the orientation programme to start.

Soon it was time for the first talk and more students gradually filed into the class. Helen glanced around and suddenly saw Randy then tapped Sarah.

Sarah glanced over and saw him, then scoffed. As long as he didn't bother her, she'd act like he didn't exist. She looked at him again; there was something different about him. He seemed to have grown a bit taller. He even seemed to have filled out some flesh and muscles; he used to be scrawny. He looked really good today and she could almost say he was handsome with his black hair slicked back on his face. She shook off the ludicrous thought and concentrated on the orientation.

He'd seen them when he walked in. Even now he purposely picked a seat almost adjacent to hers so he could look at her without being caught. He didn't know Helen was going to be here too, everything suddenly seemed more difficult. Moreover who was to say she would even want him now in college if she didn't want him back home? He really should have thought this through thoroughly.

He looked at Sarah then. It had only been months he last saw her, but it felt like years; he didn't think it was possible but she'd grown prettier.

Her strawberry blonde hair packed up in a ponytail, her lips; thin but firm. Her eyes; so blue you could get lost in them, and her nose; just perfect for her face. She had this classic beauty that will suck you in slowly then leave you breathless.

Too bad she'll probably never feel for him what he feels for her but he was content to just be able to see her everyday; for now. Reining in his thoughts, he turned and concentrated.

The rest of the day moved slowly for all the freshmen and soon the day was over. After lunch, Helen and Sarah returned to their rooms.

The week soon passed by and it was already Friday. After lectures, they went to Sarah's room. They heard Polly and some other girls talking about the mixer that night with their counter fraternities. No one seemed to have any other thing to talk about, even Helen kept going on and on about meeting cute guys. She wasn't all that excited about it but it doesn't hurt to meet new people.

The mixer started by 8pm and soon the sorority house was flooded. She had to admit, most of the guys were really good looking and she was actually having fun drinking and eating. Some boys had asked her to dance but she'd politely declined. She could hear Helen's laughter as she waltzed around the dance floor.

She felt the eyes before she saw him, her skin was tingling and she could feel it move across her body almost as if she was being touched. Slowly turning to find the source, she saw him leaning against the wall steadily looking at her.