Chapter Three: To Much To Handle!

I sat up fast as I looked down at the bandages on my body. The pain was unbearable as I scanned the room for any person. Joyce, Trisha, their families and nurses were in the room.

"Where am I?" I asked

"The hospital" Trisha said. I remembered what happened.

"Where is my family?" I asked worried. None spoke, not a whisper they just looked at each other!

"Where's my family?" I asked again a little more demanding.

"We don't know, you're the only one we found" Joyce said.

"No!" I said fight my tears. I tried to move but it hurt too much.

"Get me out of here!" I said trying to get the heavy blanket off.

"Katy no! You are hurt you can't leave!" Joyce's mom Sara said.

"What am I going to do?" I mumbled.

"Can you remember anything?" Sara asked. A tear came to my eye I remembered the whole thing.

"No" I lied avoiding talking about it. Then the nurse came in.

"Ah you're up good maybe you can answer some questions" A young officer asked as he stormed passed the nurse.

"She doesn't remember anything" Joyce said.

"That sir is what I tried to inform you of. After the head and body trauma this young lady went through she would have the world's best memory to remember even a small part at any time in her life" the nurse said shoving him out. I looked down at the blanket I thought was heavy it was a sheet! I lead back down my heart willing to stop.

"This isn't happening!" I said as fresh tears stung my cut face as the salty liquid flew into the bandages causing even more tears. I eventually stopped crying trying hard to keep the pain at a minimum and crying wouldn't solve anything. I stuffed the pain in my heart like I did the rest. I looked at my friends.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Noon, three days after we found you" Joyce said.

"Three days!" I said and leaned back. This was way too much for me! Way too much! I laid there in the hospital bed for days and weeks, my friend coming in the check on me from time to time and that was it. I got to know the nurses pretty well; one named Tyler became my best friend as my relationship with my real friends slowly drifted apart. Tyler was a kind girl in her twenties and was just a desk jockey at the time to get paid to finished paying for school to become a full time R.N. (Registered Nurse)

Eventually I was out of the hospital and with my Grandmother on the farm. I did as many things as I could to help her on the farm, then I would go sit in the round pin with Sunset for hours. I know technically her name is Crusher but I wanted a name to call her that was my name for her. I would sit there and watch her, I would try to give her a treat every time I came but she wouldn't come to me to get it. So I would just sit and watch listening to her every sound and paying close attention to her movements.

"Katy lunch time" grandma yelled from the porch.

"Coming!" I yelled back then climbed through the bars and ran to the porch.

"Boy have you gotten a lot of work done" She said looking at the yard that I mowed, and the chicken coop I cleaned, and the barn, and the field I weeded, the house I had begun to paint and then at the porch I had swept, mopped, painted, and waxed.

"You work hard for someone two days out of the hospital" she said pouring me a glass of fresh milk. My head drifted to the river that the cows were eating in, it was the same river but I refused to let emotions back up. I watched hoping the river would somehow erase the memory like it did to the evidence on the shore.