Chapter 15

Who is family... Really?

I awoke to the ringing of my cell and I hurriedly answered.

"Hello." I grumbled, still between sleep and wake.

"Are you sleeping already? It's like... Midnight."

"Carrie?"

"Mmhmm."

"What?... Why?... Huh?..."

"Haha, girl could you wake up so we can talk?"

"Sorry."

I cleared my throat and sat up before rubbing the last remnants of sleep from my eyes. The time on my laptop showed me that it was 11:30 pm and I stifled a yawn as I paused the video that was about to play.

"How are you?" I asked as I grabbed the pizza box and my juice bottle from the table and headed to the kitchen.

"I'm awesome. I love it up here and I've never felt so close to nature. I literally saw some wildlife as we drove to the cabin."

"So you're happy?"

I balanced the phone between my shoulder and ear as I placed the half eaten pizza in the fridge and grabbed a glass of water.

"Yeah! Veronica and I have never been this happy and it's nice to be alone for a change."

"Okay... So what are you doing now? And why are you calling me at this ungodly hour?"

"Roni's asleep and I haven't called you since I arrived so I just thought I would check up."

"And?"

"Why does there have to be an and?"

"I know you. We're not just cousins, we're best friends, hence, I know when you're not telling me something."

"Well... It's mom's birthday tomorrow... Today and I thought that maybe, you might want to go instead of me?" She asked in a hopeful voice.

"Why do you torture yourself like this?"

"What?"

"Carrie!"

"What?" She asked, oblivious.

"You know she wants nothing to do with you yet you still continue to seek out her approval-"

"You don't understand-"

"No, you don't. If someone doesn't want you to be apart of their life then don't push yourself in. Spare yourself the embarrassment and just move on. There's other people that love you."

"It's easy for you to say, you have a boyfriend. Life's good and no one hates you. Look, just get the gift from my bed and drop it off at the house. You don't even have to stay. Can you do that much?"

"Carrie."

"Can you?"

I sighed as I heard the angry tone in my cousin's voice. I didn't want her being mad at me and I definitely didn't want to spoil her mood. I reluctantly agreed and the conversation came to an abrupt end. Sighing deeply, I made my way towards my room before discarding the unnecessary pillows onto the floor and snuggling between my comfy bed and sheets. I had less than seven hours of sleep and the sooner I rested the better my chances of actually getting up refreshed.

~

The loud beeping of my alarm caused me to slowly come to and it took a few seconds for the mushiness of my insides to come together. Turning off the horrendous sound, I sat up and allowed my feet to dangle. Running both hands through my mess of a hair, I stifled a yawn as I dreaded my existence.

I checked my phone and saw two missed calls from Ryder and one from my mother and I deleted both as I made my way to the bathroom. Half an hour later I was draped in my towel and staring at my closet as I tried to decide on what to wear. I needed to pick two outfits at the same time since I wouldn't have the energy nor the patience to search for another one tonight.

After what felt like ages, I finally chose a black and grey plaid pants with red heels and a low neck red blouse for work and a pink dress for the party. Even though I won't be spending a lot of time there, I still couldn't afford to show up looking anyhow, not with the family I had.

By eight I was pulling into my parking spot and I got out the car before heading in. The place was happily half empty and I smiled at the good start to the day. Walking towards the examination room, I found Mr. P looking at a pig with what looked to be a small abscess starting to appear near the left rump.

I grabbed a box of gloves and headed to my office before pulling on my coat and turning on my computer. I checked through the many emails and the schedule for the remainder of the week before doing my general checkup of the animals we had and the ones my boss couldn't deal with.

At twelve the building was completely empty and I breathed a sigh of relief as I could finally run an inventory on the supplies we had an the ones we needed.

"Hey you."

"Oh hey Mr. P." I said as I looked up from documenting.

"I'm conducting an interview tomorrow for a new receptionist and a handy man, so you wouldn't have to be multitasking."

"It was never a burden Mr. P but I'm glad you're getting extra help."

He smiled and was about to leave when he remembered something. "I'm also expecting another veterinarian from South side tomorrow."

"Awesome. Don't forget, I'm leaving early for my aunt's birthday."

"Wish her well for me."

"Okay."

With that said he left and I went back to my work. By four I had nothing left to do and so I bid him goodbye before heading to my car. Turning the engine on I inhaled deeply as I felt the car come alive. I quickly searched for my favorite station and I placed the car in drive as the station's hot 100 came on.

I made it home a few minutes later and I took a quick shower before pulling on my undergarments, setting my alarm to six and climbing into bed. The light was off and all my blinds were drawn and it caused the room to plunge into a deep darkness and soon I was fast asleep.

~

I grumpily got up and rinsed my skin before putting on my knee length pink dress with my gold clutch and gold stiletto. Applying a bit of makeup, I pulled my hair into a bun and sprayed on some perfume before grabbing my car keys and heading out.

The drive was an hour long and I took my time as I drove a few miles out of the huge city. I dreaded going back to the house I grew up loving only to now realize how much hatred actually stemmed inside. The entire town was unbelievable. I now understood why people wanted to stay away from it and I don't blame them.

The town had about ten thousand people living on vast lands and even though it appeared all tight nipped and loving it now reminded me of a modernized orthodox society.

I saw the welcoming sign and for some reason my heart started hammering against my chest as I drove past it. A few minutes later and I was pulling up to the driveway of my aunt's and I noted the hoards of cars parked at the front.

With a beating heart and Carrie's gift and mine in hand, I walked up the porch steps and rang the doorbell. I mentally started counting and on the eight count it opened and I came face to face with Aunt Rosa.

"Jane, darling, is that you?"