Chapter 4

Peach POV

"Where's Birdo?!" Daisy growled.

"She was right here," Rosalina points to the last step.

"Do you think she was taken?" Oh I hope not. This day couldn't get any worse.

"No, she probably booked it back home," Daisy murmured.

"We should call the police," Rosalina suggested.

Daisy picked up her phone and dialed 911, instantly putting down her phone.

"There's no connection in here," Daisy said frustrated.

"We have to find the others before its too late! Somebody's still here, searching for us," I whispered.

Toad's dead, Toadette's dead, and now Birdo's gone. I didn't expect any of this to happen! Well, Birdo being gone isn't a surprise but today was going to be perfect and now, it's all going down hill.

"Alright, we need to find Birdo first and we are definitely not splitting up," Rosalina peaked around to the left hallway. "We should go this way first, then downstairs."

Before going anywhere, I ripped the bottom half of my dress off so I could run when needed to. Good thing I wore leggings today. I looked up to see the other girls do the same thing. Running over to my room, I placed my crown in the wall, behind the painting.

Once I got back, we crept down the hallway and went into the room on the right. Daisy handed me her phone and I turned on the flashlight to scan the room.

The light hit the guest bed, 2 dressers, and a small sofa. No signs of people here.

We then tiptoed over to the next room. The light scanned over trophy cases of medals and awards from previous sporting events. No Birdo.

The last room was Toad's room. I pushed the door open, shining the flashlight into the room. On the floor were Toad's slimy clothes. The left wall had some dressers and the right had a closet. On the navy blue bed was a piece of paper.

I ran over to the bed and picked it up. Unfolding the notebook paper, I guided the light across the lines.

I come to visit for a day
Will you come out and play?
The ringing of a loud bell
Open up and you can tell
As the pencil runs out of lead
You already know they are dead
It's too late to be saved now
They're gone, but where and how?

A chill ran down my spine as I finished reading and handed the note to Rosalina. After reading she gave it to Daisy.

"Okay this note is likely to be from the person who is in the castle right now," I whispered.

Daisy read the note again.

"It talks about someone being dead.. And there's a bell?" Daisy said confused.

"Will you come out to play... ringing bell...open up... visiting," Rosalina murmured.

Then, she looked up to us.

"It's talking about a door! One with a doorbell," Rosalina announced.

A door.. The front door is where we need to go.

"Follow me," I said.

We left Toad's room and went through the hallway and down the stairs to the front door.

I then turned the knob to the right. Pushing the door open, we stepped outside. I scanned the porch, checking for.. Well I don't even know who or what to check for... I went down the steps and saw a crimson puddle. Uh oh. Daisy handed me the phone and I followed the trail to the front of the castle. I ran the light over all the stone and then it hit something. I went back to it and gasped.

A body was limply hung up by the stained glass window, blood staining the castle wall.

The other girls and I looked away from the gory scene.

Rosalina looked back up at the castle and squinted.

"I.. I think that's Goomba," she whispered.

"Wait didn't Goomba and Drybones leave?" Daisy asked us.

"Yeah they did... What if Drybones is dead too?" I asked.

I skimmed the ground with the light and came across a pile of something. It was Drybones, bones scattered across the ground. A hammer laid near by. There was a sticky note attached to the hammer. Daisy walked over and plucked the note off, reading over the note. She handed the note to Rosalina and then to me.

Goomba was going to run to get help.

Drybones was a witness to Goomba's death.

The ones you leave behind will die.

We all knew right then that we had to find the others before it was too late.

We all ran back to the porch, up the stairs, and into the castle.

Where are they and do they even know there's a killer on the loose?

Hope you're enjoying :)