Pretending

"Where have you been?"

Blaine closed the front door behind him and turned to face his father who was standing by the staircase with his arms folded across his chest. He was wearing a suit and tie and his expression was sour.

"Um, school," Blaine said, simply.

His dad blinked a couple of times. "Until 9PM?"

Blaine didn't bother pointing out that it was actually about 8.15, he simply shrugged and said, "I had to work on an assignment with my English partner." He also didn't add the fact that working on an assignment with his English partner had ended with some intense making out in his car.

"The gay one?"

"Yes, dad, the gay one," Blaine said, unable to hold back a sigh. "Does it matter?"

"Everything matters, Blaine."

Blaine resisted the urge to point out that his father was being a hypocrite in saying everything mattered. As far as his father was concerned, glee club didn't matter, Blaine's happiness didn't matter, Blaine didn't matter.

"You should be ready to hear back from all those colleges you applied to soon," his father went on and Blaine's stomach did a flip. "It's lucky you applied to so many places, or I would be worried, what with that stunt you pulled with abandoning the game for singing."

"Um, yeah," Blaine uttered. "Lucky."

Blaine felt Kurt nudging him with his elbow during English. He glanced sideways at him and saw he was pushing his notebook towards him. Blaine looked down to see Kurt's neat handwriting on the side of the page.

Blaine.

~~~

?

~~~

.. Never mind.

~~~

Wait. What. What?

~~~

Kurt didn't write back, he simply sat there, lips tight, staring up at the front of the classroom.

~~~

Kurt?

Kurt, come on.

Kurt. Kurt, I love you.

~~~

Don't write that on paper.

What did you want to tell me?

~~~

Nothing, I'm mad at you.

~~~

Why?

~~~

Because question mark.

~~~

I'm sorry. I take it back. Tell me.

~~~

Blaine saw Kurt stifle a smile out of the corner of his eye, then he took his pen and scribbled.

~~~

Can we talk? I mean, after school?

~~~

Are you breaking up with me?

~~~

Blaine.