High In Love

Blaine blinked himself awake, the light bright and a little too much for his eyes to take. He allowed his eyes to get used to the intense glow, before taking in his surroundings, the frightening reality of everything that had happened the previous day hitting him hard.

Blaine swallowed hard and turned his head to the side to look at Kurt, whose lips were parted, his eyes closed, soft snoring sounds drifting from his mouth. Blaine found himself smiling. It had been the first time they had slept together without actually sleeping together.Their clothes were still intact and it felt good, just to be there with Kurt, just to have him back in his arms.

Blaine leaned across and flung his arms around Kurt, pulling him close and Kurt sprang upwards.

"What the—Oh," Kurt stopped, eyebrows dropping. "Sorry, I forgot you were there—No. I didn't forget you were there, you just sort of—surprised me."

"Sorry," Blaine told him and tugged gently on his arm, urging him to lay back down. "I just remembered that you love me and I couldn't help myself."

Kurt dropped back down to lay on his side, propping himself up on one elbow. He smiled at Blaine and Blaine's heart stilled, then sped up.

"I'm so in love with you," Blaine told Kurt, without thinking.

"'Makes two of us," Kurt said, smile growing.

"You're so in love with you, too?" Blaine teased.

"Is this your way of making me say it?" Kurt asked, one eyebrow lifting.

Blaine didn't say anything, just watched him with amused eyes.

"Fine," Kurt smirked. "I'm sort of so in love with you, too. Like, so in love with you that I can't even get my head around it."

Blaine smiled, crookedly. "You're sure you're not just trying to get into my pants?"

"You're nervous about going to school," Kurt said. "I know because you turned that into sex."

"Maybe," Blaine admitted, falling back into the pillows with a sigh. Blaine shut his eyes, his head spinning. He wished he didn't have to do this.

Blaine felt Kurt shifting next to him, then opened his eyes and found him hovering above him, smiling. "I'll be there, you know," Kurt told him. "I'll be there with you and you'll get through it, I promise. You'll see."

"Thank you," Blaine uttered, reaching up to pull Kurt down, so that their bodies were flush against each other. "There's still my dad, though."

"I'll come with you," Kurt told him, entwining his arms around Blaine's neck. "If you want me there, I'll come with you."

Blaine sighed and curled his arms around Kurt's slender waist. "No," he said. "No, bad idea. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful. It means a lot to me that you would be willing to do that, but.." Blaine trailed off and shook his head. "You don't know what he's like, what he's capable of. I don't even know what he's capable of. I need to do this by myself."

"Okay," Kurt frowned, slightly. "God, you had better be okay."

Blaine didn't assure him that he would be. He simply exhaled, then pulled Kurt's mouth down to meet his own, because sometimes, Kurt made him forget and all he wanted to do was forget.

Blank stares, low whispers, judgmental eyes, unenviable silence, familiar white noise filling his mind, his ears, his head. He felt sick, sick for Blaine, for himself, for every other human being who had ever had to endure this and would have to endure it in the future. The world seemed to tilt in slow motion as they walked the halls in silence, side by side. Kurt's legs felt heavy, as if he couldn't move any faster, as if he was walking in a humid climate, the hot air pulling him back, holding him down until he couldn't escape its clutches.