Get Gone

"Proms," Kurt declared, as they stepped inside the elevator up to Blaine's hotel room, which was on the sixth floor. "Are so overrated."

Blaine's liquid eyes fell on him, a flash of hurt hidden behind the dark, golden colour. "Did you hate it?"

Kurt looked up at him. "No," he shook his head. "I just meant that there's all this hype built up beforehand, then you go and you realise you don't like half the people there and they don't like you and you just stay there for too many hours, feeling uncomfortable and wishing you had stayed home, but you don't want to leave in case something happens, but nothing does." Kurt paused and Blaine was nodding, slowly and in silence. "I didn't mean you!" Kurt said, quickly. "This has nothing to do with you. If you hadn't been there, I would have been bored out of my mind."

"I shouldn't have made you go."

"I agreed to going, remember?" Kurt corrected. "Blaine, you've got to—" Kurt stopped mid-sentence, because his phone started to vibrate in the inside pocket of his jacket. "Sorry," he mumbled, as he reached inside and pulled it out. "Dad" flashed across the screen and he hit the receive button. "Hello?"

"Kurt?"

"Hi, dad," he said, glancing across at Blaine, who was staring at the buttons by the door that were lighting up one after the other, as they went up each floor.

"Having a good time?"

"I was just telling Blaine how despite proms being massively overrated," he looked sideways at Blaine, whose interest seemed to have grown, his eyes shifting to look across at Kurt. "I actually had a great night. I mean, the décor was tacky and the finger food sucked, but it actually went really well. We even slow danced and no one called the hetero police!" Kurt saw Blaine stifle a smile at that.

"That's great, Kurt, real great," Burt said, happily. "Where are you now? Are you still there?"

Kurt took a deep breath. "Here's the thing," he said. "Blaine has been staying at this hotel in town and—"

"Say no more!" Burt said, quickly.

"Dad," Kurt smiled. "We're in an elevator and besides, Blaine and I aren't even together any more." He saw Blaine frowning again. "Nothing is going to happen, okay?"

Which was probably a lie, because being in an empty hotel room with Blaine Anderson was something one did not just pass up.

"Well, okay," Burt said, but he didn't sound at all convinced. "I'll see you tomorrow, kid. Say hi to Blaine for me."

"Will do, dad," Kurt said. "Bye!"

He slipped his phone back inside his pocket and the elevator came to a halt. The door opened with a small ringing sound and they stepped out onto the long, narrow corridor.

"My dad says hi," Kurt told Blaine, as he followed him to his room.

Blaine nodded a bit and stopped at room 669 (Kurt giggled, very quietly—and obviously very maturely—at that) and slipped the room card key into the small slot, then slid it back out, quickly, as he pushed the door handle down. He pushed the door open and stood back for Kurt to walk inside.

"Do you want me to leave?" Kurt asked, as Blaine closed the door behind them. "Because I can just go, if you want."

Blaine sighed and flung the card onto a small, round table. "When in my life have I ever wanted you to leave anywhere?"

"Okay," Kurt said, carefully. "Well, we can clean up your room, then we can talk about this."

"Why do we have to cl—"