6: Birthday Dinner

At 5:30, after a full season of Fringe, Sam and Gabriel got off their comfortable bed positions and went to find Lucifer. Turns out, he was in the kitchen.

"What do you want?" Lucifer asked.

"When are we going to dinner?" Gabriel asked.

Lucifer looked at his wrist, expecting a watch. He wasn't wearing one. "As soon as Mom, Michael, and Raphael get home."

"Is Dad home yet?"

"Yeah."

"Cool." Gabriel motioned for Sam to follow him back down the colorful hallway. He stopped at the last door on the right and knocked. The door was plain wood, not decorated like the others. It opened.

Mr. Shurley, Sam's English teacher, opened it. "What?" Then he looked at Sam. "You didn't tell me that you were having friends over, Gabe."

Gabriel shrugged. "It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. Anyway, when's Mom getting home?"

Mr. Shurley shrugged. "Sometime from now to six." Then he closed the door.

Gabriel looked at Sam, who looked back. "Mr. Shurley is your dad?" Sam asked.

"Yep. He real name is Chuck."

"Why is your last name Novak then?"

"My siblings and I are all adopted. We use our mom's maiden name as our last name."

"Oh." Sam said. "I didn't know."

Gabriel shrugged and popped a sucker in his mouth. "Yeah. That's why we look so different."

Just then, the doorbell rang. Gabriel dashed off to answer it. Sam tried to follow at his hypersonic speed.

A fair boy with dark hair and a pleasant smile and a dark-skinned boy with buzzed black hair and a fierce expression were standing on the porch.

"Who's your friend, Gabe?" The first boy asked.

Gabriel gestured to Sam. "This is Sam, Sammy, Samantha, Samwich, Samsquatch, or Samoose."

"Sam is fine." Sam said.

The first boy stuck a hand out. Sam shook it. "Michael Novak." Micheal said.

The other boy gave Sam a hand as well. Sam shook it. "Raphael Novak." He said.

"What'd you guys get Cas?" Gabriel asked.

Michael looked around for the trench-coated boy. When he didn't see him, he said, "a couple pins for his trench coat."

"I got him a Hot Topic gift card." Raphael said.

"Cool. I got him, well, you'll see." Gabriel said with a smirk. "Let's go, Sammy."

Sam and Gabriel went back to Gabe's room. Sam sat on the bed as Gabriel went to his closet to get something.

"Whatcha getting, Gabe?"

"Cas's present. I have to wrap it before my mom gets home and we go to the place." Gabriel picked up a square, white box.

"What is it?" Sam asked.

Gabe held up the box. It was a Pop figure. It was a man with brown hair, a blue ensemble under a trench coat, and Converse; it was the tenth doctor from Doctor Who. Gabe popped the box open and took the figure out. Then he uncapped a Sharpie. He began to color the hair black.

"Why black?" Sam asked.

"If he has black hair, he'll look exactly like Cas."

"That's actually an amazing idea."