chapter 7

I quickly redial my father's number, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.

"Analynne May Pope." He answers the phone.

He's mad. He has to be. No one ever uses my full name unless they're mad.

"Dad." I say, my mouth going dry.

"You met him."

"Yes. I live here now."

"Did I say you could do that?" He asks sternly, and I can picture his  face going red.

"Ana, did I fucking say you could do that!" He yells this time.

"You have no say in what I do." I gulp, almost choking on the words.

For some reason I want to cry, probably because he's yelling. I hate that I always cry when someone yells. It makes me feel weak, defeated. But i'm not weak. I'm not.

"I am your father, and you only do what I tell you to do." He's calmer now, but still infuriated. 

"You're coming home now, so say goodbye to my son and his stupid little band mates for me. You will be on the next flight out."

"I'm staying here."

"You're what?" I sense the yell coming on again and bite my tongue to keep the tears back.

"I got into University of London dad, I did it." Hoping that he'll be proud of me for getting into my first choice.

Probably not though, since I told him I was going to NYU.

"No. You're going to school back home." he sounds confused.

"This is home." 

"Goodbye dad." I hang up before he can get a word a word in.

This isn't like every other time I've tried to cut him off. I'm 18 now, he has to respect me. Whatever I want, he has to go along with. I'm not his to possess anymore, I'm not. I'm half expecting to call back and yell, once again, but after a few minutes when he doesn't, I give in to the tears.

I grip the steering wheel, tightening my fingers around it with every tear. I wish that Liam hadn't left, because I could really use a friend right now. But I guess he isn't my friend, he's Louis' friend.

How could he not want me to have a relationship with my own brother? This is completely his fault, not my mom's, not Johanna, and surely not Louis or myself. I just thought it would be different this time around. Aren't I stupid?

I finally get the courage to put the keys back in the ignition and drive home. While driving, I sneak a glance at the clock on the radio and realize that its already 11pm. I really don't want to have to deal with school coming up. Even if it was in two months.

Still shaky from my breakdown, I stumble into the building and greet the elderly doorman goodnight. He seems nice enough, quietly greeting me whenever I see him, but tonight he stops me.

"Are you okay, darling?" he asks, sounding genuinely concerned.

"Oh," I wipe under my eyes, hoping to clean up my smeared makeup. 

"Yea, it's just....my dad and brother are fighting." I finally come up with.

"Well I'm sure Mr. Tomlinson and your father will work it out."

"You know my bro- right, everyone knows him." I give a weak smile, forgetting for a moment what my brother's social status is. 

"He used to live here, for a little while."