22: Saturday Morning

The sun shone through my window, waking me up from my slumber as I shifted in my comfy bed, allowing myself to feel its embrace before I sat up.

It was Saturday, and I had a date with Bruce Wayne last night.

It was odd, he was so charming, so sweet, something I hadn't experienced with the Joker. With Joker, it was rough, electric, passionate chemistry, and with Bruce, it was. . . Gentle, adequate, elegance. He's polite, he's rich, he's. . . Normal.

The Joker told me he was all wrong for me, he didn't make effort for me, and now I was no longer his. I was starting to find interest in Bruce Wayne, something I'd never expect out of myself. His materialistic ways churned my stomach, but his sweet words made it flutter. It was an odd attraction, as he was the complete opposite of Joker.

Maybe it was just me trying to break free from the mental constraints from The Joker. A rebellious act against him.

I hoped he missed me, and I hoped he regretted letting me go.

I stood up. Might as well act like this, it was the only thing keeping me sane.

I took my phone from the counter next to me, finding a message waiting for me.

BRUCE: I had a wonderful time last night.

I smiled, forming a new text.

ME: I did, too. Thank you.

BRUCE: I have a charity event I am hosting on Sunday for your company. Would it be too early to ask you to be my date?

I smiled once more.

ME: Not too early. I like that you're forward. I would love to go as your date.

BRUCE: Excellent. I will pick you up at 5:30 PM on Sunday. See you then.

I put my phone down, the doorbell's ring cutting me from my thoughts as I opened the door, finding a large, cardboard box addressed to me. I curiously frowned, bringing the box inside and opening it with a box cutter. Inside I found all of my clothing from Joker's, along with a white teddy bear wearing a purple and green suit. It had red lipstick smeared over the fabric lines of its mouth, and black paint smeared around its eyes, causing its white fur to look clumpy and dirty.

I searched farther in the box, finding a picture. I frowned, picking it up to see it better in the light.

It was a picture of fire. Fire shaped into letters, which read two words which broke my heart.

"I'M SORRY"

I put my hand over my mouth, feeling the tears start to overflow and slide down my cheeks. He was sorry.

He was trying.

I looked around me at my house, then at the teddy bear before clutching the teddy close to me, smelling gasoline and gunpowder, his signature smell before I started shaking from my powerful sobs.

He couldn't prove his devotion. He couldn't prove he'd be there for me. I had no control over our relationship, no say in how it'd go, and it already failed once. I already gave up so much for him, and he made no sacrifices in return. I couldn't be sure of him.

But this house wasn't a risk. My job wasn't a risk. And Bruce wasn't a risk. He couldn't break my heart like Joker did, because Joker was the one for me.

Joker would always be the one.

But he wasn't willing to make it work, and he wasn't willing to commit to me. It wasn't in his nature to commit to something besides his job.

I put the teddy bear back in the box along with the picture. I took my clothes and put them in the trashcan, putting my hand in it and lighting it on fire. I would rid of Ruby, and praise Ember. I watched as the flames consumed the clothing, smoke rising as it burned the material. I sucked in a deep breath, feeling my insides quiver with delight.

This was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

Did this make me normal?

I looked up at the sky.

Was this what I wanted?