10. Books and Candy

Areum's P.O.V

I was in the library looking for another book to read since I finished my other one. How could a place hold so many books? It was my favorite place in the whole school, and I found it fascinating.

I found a book that caught my attention. I took it off the shelf, and decided to give a try.

"Areum, do you have time after school?" Moonbin said. Moonbin and Jinwoo came up to me.

"Yes, but may I ask why you need me?" I asked.

"Friends are supposed to hang out every once in a while, right?" Jinwoo asked.

"Okay. Meet me at the main entrance then," I said.

"See you," Moonbin said and they left.

I went back to reading my book when Sanha and MJ came up to me.

"Areum, can you hang out a bit after school?" Sanha asked me.

"Moonbin and Jinwoo already invited me," I said. "Is tomorrow okay?"

"Yes," they both said, cheerfully.

Sanha and MJ looked at me weirdly.

"You like to read?" MJ asked.

"Quite a lot, yes," I replied.

"Pretty girls read?" Sanha asked MJ.

"We need to start reading too," MJ said.

"We'll be going now," Sanha and MJ said, and walked away.

***

After class was over, I went to see Moonbin and Jinwoo. They were already waiting for me outside. They greeted me.

"I hope you have a sweet tooth," Jinwoo said to me.

"You like candy, right? Moonbin asked. I nodded. "Candy shop it is, Jinwoo."

We walked over to the bus stop that was practically in front of the school. Moonbin and Jinwoo told me that we were going to the candy store that wasn't far from the school.

*

"Basically what you do is take a plastic bag and fill it up with all the candy you want," Jinwoo told me, handing me a clear plastic bag.

"Okay," I said.

I went around filling up the bags with flavored gummy figures, caramels, and chocolate. After we all filled the bags, we took it to the cash register and weighed it.

I reached for money inside my backpack, but Jinwoo stopped me.

"This one's on me," Jinwoo said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes, don't worry about it," Jinwoo said, and paid for the candy.

"Thanks," I said, and he gave me a smile.

*

We sat on a park bench, eating the candies Jinwoo bought for us.

"Areum, can I ask you something?" Moonbin asked. I nodded.

"Do you perhaps know anything about someone named Haeun," he asked.

"Eunwoo's girlfriend?" I asked. And he nodded. I shook my head.

"It was like I knew what Eunwoo was thinking when he first saw you. He thought Haeun, but you have a different name," Moonbin said. "You look just like her."

"You knew Haeun?" I asked.

"Yes. She was his first love, and he was hers. It happened a couple years ago and then she disappeared. Eunwoo was devastated and was never as happy or cheerful as he used to be."