41. Identity

Areum's P.O.V

I quietly walked inside my apartment, hoping my mom still wasn't home.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw her waiting for me in the living room.

"Why are you so late?" she asked me.

"I was with Emma," I said.

"Where was it that you two ran off to?"

"I went to a concert with her..."

Her expression was scary. She looked pissed.

"I don't think Emma is a good influence on you," she said. "You have ballet tomorrow, so clean up and go to bed."

"Mom-"

"I don't want to hear it. Can't believe you would be up to these types of things at this hour."

"And I can't believe you changed my name."

"What are you saying-"

"You gave me a whole different identity? Just because I had amnesia did you think it was okay to take everything away?!"

"Don't tell at me! I did this for your own good! Did you think I was happy seeing the way you lived? You attempted suicide, Areum-"

"You know very well that's not my name. There's this thing called starting over. I had to stand up from where I was."

"Just forget anything happened-"

"No. I won't let this go this time. I know everything about my past now. I just want to know why."

"I-I didn't want to loose you... Haeun."

She began to tear up. I've never seen her cry ever since my brother passed away.

"Your father called many times for you. He wanted to take you away ever since we divorced. After talking to many lawyers, I decided to change your identity so thay he couldn't find you. I thought it was best if I never told you anything. And since you had amnesia... the plan was perfect and it worked well."

"Then why did you bring me here if everything was going well?"

"After finding you reading those letters from your past, I thought the memories were coming back to you. I didn't want you to remember anything because I thought you wouldn't want to be with me anymore and go to your father."

I wrapped my arms around her and she began to sob. I lightly patted her back.

"You're not going to lose me," I said to her, and I began to cry. "I already talked to him."

She pulled away and wiped her tears.

"Your father?" she asked in shock.

I nodded.

"We have to leave-"

"No, mom. You can't keep running away. If anything, everything will come back to you. I think we both should talk to him."

"You're right."

*

Another one

Vote and comment for more!

K