Chaotic Sanity - part 9

Eli drove everybody home with his dad’s car saving Imogen’s house for last. Imogen wasn’t exactly fond of this idea but she didn’t exactly mind either.  Eli walked her to the front step and took her in his arms.

“So it looks like we’re forgetting something.” Imogen said with her arms wrapped around his neck.

“What’s that?”

“The goodnight kiss of course.” She said smiling.  Eli smirked and leaned in to kiss her. The porch light came on and Imogen’s father came out.

“Hey sweetie how was the—” with horror and anger struck on his face Mr. Moreno roughly grabbed Imogen by her arm and dragged her in. Eli followed afterwards. “What did I tell you? Didn’t I say I didn’t want to see him again?” her father screamed as he pulled her up the stairs. They got to the top stair with her father still harshly gripping her left arm when her mother came out the room.

“Honey let Imogen go!” her mom wrapped her robe around her body.

“Daddy stop!” Imogen cried. Eli stayed still at the bottom of the steps frozen in shock of what to do. “Mom why is he like this?!” Imogen held her right hand out trying to grip her mom.

“His meds honey, he’s not taking them.” Her mom said in a calm tone. Mr. Moreno gripped Imogen’s arm tighter and Imogen cried.

“LET HER GO!” Eli screamed, his body became tense.

“Let her go? LET HER GO? Fine, I’ll let her go!” Mr. Moreno let Imogen go and she lost her balance falling down the stairs. Eli ran and caught her. Her father stormed into Imogen’s room grabbing a suitcase and some of stuff tossing it down the stairs. “If you’re going to keep hanging out with that boy you’re going to have to find someplace else to live because you’re not staying here!”

Imogen looked at all her stuff on the stairs and quickly picked it up. “Daddy!”

“Don’t daddy me, now pick your crap up and leave. You can come back tomorrow to get the rest of your stuff, after that I don’t want to ever see you again.” Her dad punched the wall and walked to his room slamming the door. Her mom shot the two teens a sorrowful look. She ran down to Imogen hugging her tightly.

“You won’t let him kick me out will you?” Imogen said crying.

“Honey…maybe its best, just till you father gets better.” Her mother touched Imogen’s eye which was mildly bruising. “Do you have a place you can stay for a while?”  She handed Imogen her broken glasses.

Imogen wiped the tears from her eyes and nodded her head yes. She turned to Eli. “Can you drive me to Fiona’s?” Eli nodded and went to go pack the clothes from the stairs. “Ok, I’ll stay at Fiona’s let me just go grab a few things.” Imogen ran up to her room sorely.

“For the record, I knew you were the boyfriend.” Her mom smiled.

“Is he always like that?” Eli said zipping her suitcase.

“Not always, sometimes he’s calm and caring.”

“Is he just that way when he sees me or something?”

“It’s not your fault, he just, he can’t control his actions as well as others can. He’s unstable.” She looked at Eli’s eyes which were filled with worry. “Take care of her alright.” She smiled. “She’s been through worse than this.” Eli nodded his head.

“Ok, I’m ready.” Imogen looked at the house. “I’ll be back to get the rest tomorrow.” Imogen slung the bag around her and ran down the stairs to hug her mom tightly. “I love you.” She cried. Her mom whispered it back. “Goodnight.” She put on a clearly fake smile and walked out the door with Eli holding her. They put her stuff in the trunk and drove off. Imogen shot him a look letting him know she wasn’t ready to talk about it and Eli shook his head letting her know he got the message.