Chapter Ten

I wake up to the smell of antiseptic. I slowly come to. Hear snoring and beeping. I open my eyes now I'm looking at a white ceiling and bright lights that gave me a headache. I groan and turn my head to the left a window was there. I was looking at a stary night sky. I turn my head to the right and I see Clay asleep in a chair. He looks so worn and tired. I try reaching for him but I am entangled with my iv and some cord I have no idea what it is. I press the nurse button. And a few moments pass by she walks and asks, "yes si-" But she sees me with shock on her face she comes by and checks my chart and leaves. I don't know what's going on but it's not good. I sit up my bed and try too talk, "Cl...clay," I growl. He did my move. I shake something and say his name again, nothing. So I toss my pillow at him. I jumps up and looks around. He finally looks over at me. And his eyes open wide, "Lizzy your awake," he asks worried. I nod my head confused. "How do you feel," he asks sitting back down. It hurts when I talk so I make a drinking motion with my hand. "Oh," he gets up and fixes a cup of water for me. After I finish drinking, "wow it feels like I haven't had water on my throat for weeks," I joke. Clay looks at me, "you've been in icu for two and a half weeks." I look at him stupidly, "I only had a broken nose." He climbs in the bed with me and grabs my hand, "you and a broken rib and it punctured your lung," he explains. "You almost died, but they fixed it all up, and you can go home soon," he finishes. "You've been healing but you never woke up," he adds. I look around and see flowers, balloons, and cards. Look up at him, "I'm sorry Clay." He looks ahead and rubs my hair, "it's alright Darling your okay, now get some rest." I roll on my side and scoot so he can have some more room. He was still rubbing my head when I fall asleep. I woke up that morning starving. I turn and notice Clay gone. And there are strawberries put on the table with a note taped to it.

I'll be back later
Love you- Clay

I think about the last part of the note. I've missed that feeling. Love. The thought made me so happy but hunger took over me again. So I shake that thought out my head. And then I eat every strawberry. After that my doctor walks in with my papers for me too go home I sign and wait for Clay too come. I am still weak so I slowly and I mean slowly get to my feet. I get too the table and look at the flowers and I notice a card. It's plain white and not opened. I grab and open it.

We will get you Elizabeth.

That's the only thing the card said. I look up from the card and look around. I hear the door open and I jump and turn too see Clay walk in with a bag. "Lizzy what's wrong," he says worried. I didn't notice I have tears in my eyes. I hand him the card. He reads the card and his face turns dark. He tosses me the bag and it's full of clothes. "Go change," he says typing on his phone. I turn too head to the bathroom too change but forget that idea and strip in front of Clay. I finish changing and turn to him. He said there jaw dropped and blushing. "You seen it all before," I say. We start too head out but I notice a vase of flowers. I tap on Clay's shoulder, "are those from Lilac?" He turns and looks, "yea how'd you know?" I laugh hard until it starts too hurt, "can't you yell what kind of flowers they are." He looks and takes awhile then shakes his bead. "They are lilacs," I giggle. "Oh and her name is Lilac," he says finally putting two and two together. I hand him the now empty bag and grab the beautiful white vase. He grabs empty hand with mine and we leave the hospital.