chapter two: the she-wolf

"Ok, so how long has it been?" My brother asked as the four of us walked into the exam room at the veterinarians.

"Weeks. He hasn't gotten back to any of my texts." Scott replied.

"Has Derek ever returned your texts? " I asked.

"Once. Definitely once. But this time it felt different. So I went to the loft. The alarm was on. Everything looked okay. But then I found these." Scott said pushing a metal tin, that typically contains contain balls, to the center of the table. Only this time, it was filled with shell casings. "So I sent a picture of it to Deaton. He said that it's the mark of a family of hunters based out of Mexico. The Calaveras."

"What would they want with Derek?" Lydia asked what we were all thinking

"You don't think they killed him, do you?" Stiles asked.

"I... I don't know. That's why you're here." Scott said sliding the tin toward Lydia. 

Lydia grabbed the tin and took out a handful of casings, closing her eyes she dropped them on the floor and opened her eyes looking devastated.

"Lydia, what? Is he dead?" I asked.

"No. But I'm not sure he's alive either."

"What does that mean?" Stiles asked.

"I don't know. There's something not right. I just... I don't know. "

"So if the Calaveras have him, how do we find them?" Stiles asked.

Scott looked at us all. "Mexico."

~

Scott's head was in my lap when his eyes started fluttering.

"He's awake. Guys, he's awake." I said.

"Scott, you okay?" Stiles asked bending down to help him up.

"Yeah. They don't have him. They don't have Derek." Scott said.

"We know. But right now, they've got Lydia." I said getting very nervous.

"Lydia? What do they want with Lydia?" Scott asked and Stiles gave him a 'shut up' look. "Sorry, Brooke. I'm sure she'll be fine."

"Yeah, Scott."

Scott jumped to his feet and ran to the door, inspecting every inch of it to see if there was a weak spot. Then he tried pulling it.

"We already looked for a way out. I think a lot of people have." Kira told him.

"I say when that door opens again, we take out whoever's standing in the way and run for it." Malia pitched.

"What about Lydia?" Kira asked.

"What about her?" Malia said and I scoffed.

"We're not leaving without her." Scott told her.

"Why not?"

Is she kidding?

"Because we don't leave without people." I snipped.

"Remember, we talked about this? Rules of the wild kingdom don't apply to friends." Stiles interjected and explained to her all google eyed and lovey.

Barf.

I remember when he was like that to Lydia, someone I actually love. I can't stand the fact that my brother chose Malia.

"Is that what you would do as a coyote, leave her for dead?" Kira asked, indulging in a conversation I didn't care to here.

"If she was weak and injured, yeah. If hunting had been bad that season, I would eat her. Then I'd leave." Malia explained.