chapter three: older bother

"Wow." Deaton said as we laid the unconscious teen on the table.

"Wow? Wow as in, "I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do," kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for." My brother rambled yet again.

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." Deaton said.

 "He's cold. Really cold." Lydia said, grabbing his hand.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asked.

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience." Deaton said, checking Derek's eyes with a flash light.

"So what do we do with him?" Scott asked.

"Until he wakes up. Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here." Deaton said.

"You mean from Kate?" I asked.

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." Deaton added.

"Why would she want do this to him?" Lydia asked.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her." Deaton said and I scoffed.

"And bad for everyone else." Stile added.

"That was implied." I added.

"You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night... And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again." Deaton told us.

"Someone should stay with you." Scott said, worrying about his boss.

"I'll stay. My grades are fine... Despite missing a few classes." Lydia said.

"I'm so not okay with this." Stiles said.

"I'll stay, too. I have a 4.0 GPA. I can miss a day of school."

"Now I am definitely not okay with this."

"Guys, go." Lydia said.

"No." My stubborn brother spoke.

"Brooke, you're going home. Lydia, text us if anything happens." Scott said.

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere. All right, just 'cause you're stronger..." Stiles said as Scott dragged him out.

"I'll meet you in the car." I laughed.

"You gonna be okay?" Lydia asked me.

"Yeah, I'll just have to suffer through the awkward apology conversation with Stiles on the way home."

"I love you, Brooke." Lydia said embracing me.

"I love you too, Lydia."

I hugged her tightly and went out to the jeep. Climbing in the back as I am not important enough to be in the front compared to Scott. The ride from the clinic to Scott's I stayed silent as the boys conversed. As soon as Scott got out, I climbed up front and sat in silence, looking out the window.

"Brooke." Stiles said. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I know, you probably think I am the worst brother in the world-" 

"Stop it."

"What?"

"Don't throw yourself a pity party Stiles. You're not the worst brother in the world you know that."

"It was just that Malia was just learning how to shift on her own and-"

"Here we go again."

"I'm sorry. Okay, I'm sorry. Look, the reason I wasn't around, I mean the main reason. I felt like, and still feel like I'm not allowed to grieve. I mean, I killed her." Stiles said.