Chapter Ten

Shelly's POV

Leaving the game in a daze I head to my car with Kc by my side. Since telling Kyle I'd go with him on one date I've been getting glares left and right from every girl in school.

"Don't worry about them," kc says beside me nodding to the group of girl we walk past. "They're just jealous because half of them wanted to be the one Kyle asked out."

"Yeah," I say with a shrug. In all honesty it doesn't bother me. What I don't understand is why he had to do it in front of everyone. I know he said it was to get my attention, but did he not realize I was staring at him all game?

We reach my car and Kc gives me a hug and a good luck for tomorrow. Smiling like the idiot I am slide in my car and head home. It's only just after nine and mom shouldn't be home yet. I pull into the driveway and walk inside.

Flipping on the light to my room a strip out of Kyle's jersey and my pants and change into my sweats and a baggy shirt. I grab my dirty clothes and head to the laundry room.

Throwing my things in a start the washing machine and walk to the kitchen. Thankfully my mom had given me money the other day so we finally had food in this house. Grabbing a can of raviolis I pour them into a bowl and shove it in the microwave.

While waiting for it to heat up I hear my phone go off from my bedroom. I dash upstairs and without looking at the caller ID I answer, a little out of breath from my sprint.

"Hello?" I say, but don't hear anything. So I try again. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Miss. Tinsley?" A female voice asks. I pull the phone away from my ear and see it's a private number.

"Uh yes," I reply. "Whose this?"

"My name is Julie. I'm a physician at Southern California Medical Center. We have a patient here by the name of Rebecca Tinsley. Is that your mother?"

Oh dear lord. I feel my heart stop and force myself to sit down. "Yes that's my mother. Is she OK?" I say starting to panic.

"Well I'm afraid not. Would it be possible for you to come down?"

"You're afraid not? Is she OK?" I repeat. I swear hospital people don't understand anything!

"Ma'am it'll be easier if you just came down and we'd be able to explain things." She says sounding smug.

"Yeah I'm on my way." I say rushing off the phone and grabbing my keys. I bolt out of the house and to my car, almost ripping the door off as I open my door and scramble in. I call Kc as I throw my car into reverse.

"Shelly? Are you OK? Or did Kyle already back out?" He says jokingly.

"No kc. Something's happened with my mom. I just got a call from the hospital, they wont tell me what's happened. They just keep saying I need to come down. I don't know how to get there though. Can I come get you?" I rush out in less then five seconds.

"Oh shit," he breaths. "Yeah come get me. I'll meet you at the school. I live about two blocks from it. I'll see you there." He says and I can hear him running out the door.

"Thank you. See you in a few." I say hanging up. I know my mom and I don't get along well, but she's still my mother. It has to be bad I'd the doctors are insisting that I come down and wouldn't give me any details over the phone. I speed back to the school that still has cars in it. Probably the players still showering before they leave to celebrate their victory. In the far parking lot I can still see Kyle's Jeep but I don't have to sit leave a note or anything.

I spot Kc's car and squeal to a stop next to him.

"Let me drive" he says opening my door.

"Take an easy on my baby. She was my dad's " I say hoping out and running over to the passenger side.