Chapter 14

Marlene and I wander around one of the clothes shops in the Pit, picking up a few tops here and there. "AJ told me you had a bit of a breakdown," Marlene said, "and I wanted to ask if you were okay."

"I'm great now," I smiled at her. "I just really hate the chasm you know. Plus seeing an initiate being dragged out is pretty scary."

"Where were you during the funeral?" Marlene asks, going through a rail of dresses.

"I was on the roof," I tell her. A grin makes its way onto my lips, remembering exactly what happened on the roof with Peter.

"You should have called me over, we could have sat together instead of you being a sad little loner."

"I um, a-actually wasn't alone," I stammer. "P-Peter was with me."

"Oh?" She smirked, lifting her eyes from a dress she was examining. "And?"

"If I admit something to you you have to promise you won't tell a single person." I tell my best friend sternly.

"I promise," Marlene placed a hand on her heart.

"Me and Peter... we kissed." I uttered, biting my lip. Marlene gaped at me, the dress in her hand falling to the floor. She scurried over to me and hugged me tightly.

"You kissed! What, are you together now?" Marlene squeals. "Oh my gosh Piper, I can't believe that you and Peter -"

"He didn't ask me out, though..." I interrupted Marlene's excitement. Her facial expression drooped.

"Oh." She muttered. "What happened after your kiss?"

"Well, we began talking normally until I said that I was going to go back to my dorm." A frown tugged at the corners of my lips. "He didn't ask me out... what if he was just using me for that kiss?"

"Did he tell you that he liked you? Or anything along the lines of that?" Marlene pressed on.

"He did say that he liked me, but I don't know, we were drunk," I shrug innocently.

"If I were you I'd talk to Peter, just in case it was him being a stupid drunk. I've seen the way he looks at you sometimes and he looks genuinely in love with you." Marlene smiled. She hugged me again. "I'm really happy for you Piper."

I pull away from Marlene, smirking. "Now we need Uri to make his move on you, or you."

Marlene blushed, picking up the dress she dropped. "Let's pay?"

"I'm being serious, Mar!"

"I'm paying now!"

***

In our next stage of training we're all made to face some of Lauren's fears. I'm glad that we aren't facing our own fears yet, however everyone will be able to see my fears once the final stage of initiation comes around. I stand in the fear landscape room, staring at the word 'Dauntless' graffitied onto the brick wall until my name is called. "Piper, you're up."

I walk slowly into the room, my hands balled into fists. My throat feels dry all of a sudden. My Divergence isn't a threat as everyone knows that fear landscapes aren't real. If they do find out though... Lauren isn't as understanding as Four and will immediately tell Eric if she feels the need to - which she obviously will. Just think like a Dauntless... think like a Dauntless. Plus, the only way I can get out of the sim is when my heart rate steadies.

I stand up in the far centre of the room and let Lauren inject me with the syringe. My eyes droop close, and I let the simulation take me in.