Chapter 21

I jolt awake, rummaging around the bed, trying to figure out where I am. You're in Amity, you twerp. I sigh, falling back onto my bed. The door creeks open, revealing Peter. The sling on his left arm arm is no longer there. He's wearing a dark yellow shirt, a burnt orange t-shirt underneath with rust red jeans. "Morning," he says, walking in. In his right hand is a bundle of clothes. Amity clothes.

"You look gross." I snort, swinging out of bed. "Please don't tell me I have to wear whatever that is in your hands."

"I think you'll like it," Peter sits beside me as I rub the salve upon my skin. "Oh, the nurse gave me this yesterday to give to you - pain relief." He hands me a bottle with a dropper. I unscrew the dropper from the bottle, squeezing three drops of the pain relief in my mouth. It's sour and leaves my mouth tingling.

"They're deciding if we're staying today or not, aren't they." I run a hand through my hair, twirling my coloured ends. "I don't trust these banjo strumming hippies with my fate."

"Johanna seems rational, she was a Candor," Peter tells me. I raise my eyebrows and let out a small laugh.

"Candor-born Amity? Wow." Amity and Candor tend to have many disagreements. Being honest and kind are two separate things, therefore this causes many disagreements between the factions. "I'm going to have a shower, see you in a bit." I peck Peter's cheek, grabbing ahold of my crutches and walking to the women's bathroom, which was five doors down. I hopped into one of the showers after pulling off my Dauntless clothes.

The water was warm and refreshing upon my skin. I scrubbed off the dirt gathering upon my skin from the previous day. The dry blood upon my skin coloured the water red, running at my feet. I washed my hair with a coconut scented shampoo and picked up the red and pale tells patterned soap from the rack beside me, smelling the bar. Scents of strawberries and lemons wafted up my nose. In Dauntless the soap was plain and smelt simply of vanilla. Here the soaps were odd and extravagant. I rubbed the bar upon myself and washed it off, twisting the shower off once I felt fresh and pure. The showers here only lasted five minutes to preserve resources.  Tying a towel around me, I hopped out and rushed back to my room, my Dauntless clothes stuffed under my arm. I'm going to wash them later, so I can mix and match with the Amity clothes.

Peter had given me a bright red silky dress that reached below my knee. I slipped it on easily, towel drying my hair and putting my feet into my Dauntless boots. I'm already wearing Amity clothing - there's no way I'm going any further than that. I approach the mirror and take a look at myself. The dress is loose and flows around my legs, hugging my upper body. It's simple, with no patterns or unnecessary detail. You'd think I'd belong in Amity if I didn't have a teal dip dye, piercings upon my ears and one on my nose and my tattoos: the angel wings upon my back, the arrows on my left collar bone, the heart on my right wrist and the city upon my left.

***

"How do I look?" I ask Peter when I enter his room. "The dress is way too bright, wasn't there a darker one, like crimson or rust -"

"You look gorgeous." Peter tells me, standing up. "Red suits you. It makes you look... happy."

"But black is such a happy colour!" I exclaim. "I look like I've been drenched in blood - how's that happy? It's depressing!"

"You've been here for less than twenty four hours and you've already developed depression." Peter rolls his eyes. I swing forward on my crutches and huff.

"I know I'm being stupid... I've just never left Dauntless, you know? I've been dragged to a completely opposite world - I'm not used to change." I frown.