Chapter 19

This chapter is nearly 4000 words!😂 Keep voting guys I'd really appreciate it, and also make sure to follow me and recommend the book! 

We catch the train to the Dauntless headquarters. By 'we' I mean Tris, her brother Caleb, her father Andrew and Marcus. We run a few feet and jump into one of the carriages near the back of the train. My leg thumps with every step I take, albeit I try my hardest to ignore it. I like to think there's worser pain people can experience, and a gunshot wound (two in my case) was probably nothing compared to the many forms of pain out there. I jump in as normally as possible after the others clamber in, but the ache in my leg sharpens as my left leg hits the train surface. Tris helps me in, assisting me as I sit down.

"I assume you regret choosing Dauntless, the both of you," Marcus says. Tris and I shake our heads.

"I was born in Dauntless, that faction is my home and will always be." I declare.

"Even after your faction's leaders decided to join a plot to overthrow the government?" He spits. Resentment fills my mouth with curse words I was willing to release, however I hold them back.

"There were some things I needed to learn," Tris says.

"How to be brave?" Andrew asks almost silently.

"How to be selfless. Often bravery and selflessness are the same thing." She replied.

"Is that why you got the Abnegation symbol tattooed on your shoulder?" Caleb speaks up.

"And Dauntless on the other." Tris smiles.

***

We jump off the train and onto the roof. The beginning of initiation flashed in my mind. I felt so free that day, so careless. Who knew I'd be replaying the experience to save my friends and faction instead of be with them and enjoy life with the brave. I roll across the roof instead of landing upon my feet to reduce the pain I'm experiencing. Tris let's me jump onto the net first. I stand upon the ledge and fall through the air, adrenaline pulsing through me. Instead of feeling exhilarated when I hit the net, I moan from the impact it makes with my sensitive leg.

The area below is clear, so I roll off the net and stand upon the platform. I hope Peter's in here. I'd do anything to know he's okay, that he's alive, even though he may be brainwashed like the others. I hear the twang of the net and see Tris bounce upon it, rolling off. She stands next to me and watches her brother topple from the roof. He hit the platform with a hard thud when he clambered off the net.

"He stayed in Abnegation?" I ask.

"He's an Erudite." She tell me. I nod and watch Caleb wince, collecting himself together.

His mouth is wide open as he stares at us. "How many times... have you... done this?"

"Twice." She says. We watch Andrew come down and vomit over the edge of the platform. Marcus does nothing but groan as he enters the compound. We all then rush through the empty caverns of the Dauntless, Marcus commenting on the scenery as we do so.

"Do you have a plan, Beatrice?" Andrew asked. It feels weird hearing Tris being called by her Abnegation name, almost foreign.

"Yes," she replied. She's smart enough to know what's going on, so I put my trust in her. We walk through the hallway leading to the pit, which is illuminated every ten feet with the familiar blue lanterns. A gunshot rings out as we enter the first patch of light. We duck and crawl to the next dark patch. "Is everyone okay?" She asks.