Chaper 59

Piper's POV

When Cara told me about what Peter was scheming, I immediately run out of the room, out of the hotel and into the chaos that is the residents of the compound screaming and pushing each other. I have to get to the control room. My eyes are wild with tears, and I let a few fall carelessly. Fuck being strong, what's the point? The person I love is damaging himself with the Abnegation memory serum. I push past people who try and shove me down. The control room, the control room, the control room. I have to see if Peter is okay. He has to be okay.

I reach the hallway leading to the control room and sprint rapidly down the corridor. When I reach the control room the same woman who caught me spiking the drinks grabs ahold of me with a few others. "No!" I shriek, my vision blurred with tears. "Please! Please! My boyfriend, he -"

"Get her to a holding cell, now!" Someone yells.

"Please! I have to use the cameras, I won't do anything, please," I try to pull away from my captors but their grip tightens around my chest and I scream with pain.

"Let her go!" I hear a familiar voice yell. Matthew stands in front of me and everyone lets go of me. I fall into Matthew and hug him tightly. "Are you okay?" He asks.

"I need to use the surveillance and find Peter, please," I whisper weakly. Matthew nods and allows me to rush to a computer. I fiddle around with the buttons and switch through the cameras, my heart beating so hard and loudly the whole room can here. "Peter, come on, please don't..." I mumble shakily. Matthew leans over my shoulder and examines the screen.

"There," he points to a truck upon the screen flicked. The truck is heading away from the city. My body freezes. My mind won't function properly. I can't think, I can't see straight, I can't breath, I can't do anything expect for stare at the screen with my heart in my throat. Why didn't he talk to me? After everything, everything, the least I'd expect him to do was consult this with me. I'm no expert, but I want to listen to him. He needs to know that he is not alone. I run my hands through my hair frantically.

"Get the girl to a holding cell!" One of the control room workers demands. "Get her out of here!" I don't want to be sent away. I want to be at the entrance when Peter comes back. I need to be there for him.

Matthew taps my arm. "Piper, I'm sorry -"

"No!" I shout. "I'm staying here! Don't talk to me!"

"They aren't going to put you in the cell permanently. Just until you calm down," Matthew tells me soothingly.

"Matthew, get her up, now!" Someone demands.

"Please, Piper," Matt says with desperation. "You're only going to make things harder."

"Just promised y-you'll bring him to me," I reply shakily. "And let me out when they're taking Uriah off of his life support." Matthew nods and then he supports me up. Two security guards grab my arms and pull me away from the control room to be placed in a cell.

***

The half hour I spend lazing around the cell feels like a whole eternity - just like in Erudite. And while I lie on the floor, I use every ounce of strength left to hold myself back from sobbing uncontrollably. I just want to disappear, to leave Chicago and make myself a new life somewhere else where the haunting city memories won't be there to claw at my mind every corner I turn, every street I walk down, every second I spend in the city. I can't do this anymore. I'm so alone, so trapped and worthless and drowning deep in my own thoughts.

When the door opens a sullen Cara stands in the doorframe, her face a patchwork of bruises. Her eyes are watery but no tears fall. I scramble up and face her, my mouth opening and closing like a fish would do. "Piper, something happened in the Weapon's Lab," Cara begins hoarsely. "Tris... she stopped the serum, but -" Cara stops taking. I know what Cara is going to say. I've heard it enough times: the tone of voice, the stumbling, the infinite pauses... Tris is dead. And I can't believe it. I shake my head, biting my lip so hard I can taste blood. This can't be happening. I'm loosing everything slowly and painfully, and I want it over with. I can't deal with this anymore.