Chapter eight: Party Central

I still didn't understand why Collins was so mad. I tried asking him many times but his response was always the same: " I never get mad Jacine ".

I decided to hang out with Sydney after school. I caught her arm wrestling with one of the skater dudes. Both of them were really struggling to beat the other. Looks like she's finally met her match. At the final moment Sydney slammed his hand down, winning the match.
" I win! " she hooted "maybe next time Carl". She flipped her now pink hair and walked over to me. " hey friend! Wanna sit on the hood of my car and point hairdryers at other cars to see if they slow down? "
"As fun as that sounds, I was kinda hoping I could come over" I said.

I guess I'm used to her crazy suggestions. With her insanity and her always dying her hair different colours, I'd say she's the slightly whacked out, more colourful, upbeat and female version of the mad hatter. Before she was just Sydney. Brown haired, shy, timid and collected. But after visiting her grandma the summer after middle school, someone hijacked that Sydney and replaced her with a colourful psycho. That's what I like be about her.

We stopped at a drive thru and ordered two milkshakes. When the guy came back with our orders, Sydney grabbed his face and kissed him passionately. I sat there shocked and pretty freaked out. Once she was done she asked him if he was happy now, he replied " uhhhhh " and she drove away singing the theme song to teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Sydney lived in a pretty normal everyday house. She had a 7 year old brother named Henry and a 9 year old sister named Reagan. She had two older brothers too. One was Daren. He was in college and loved Sydney to bits. The other one Cole was the complete opposite. He hated staying too close to her and seized every moment to point out to people that he wasn't related to her. Her parents were uptight and worked a lot but they still hung out with their kids.

When I rang the doorbell Cole opened and said "oh you still hang out with my sister"

"At least you finally admitted she's your sister. Look at you making choices"

"Noooo!" He yelled slamming the door in our face "she's not my sister"

We both rolled our eyes at cute Henry who opened the door for us. "Yay!" He said "Syd is back"

He hugged her and she lifted him up her neck. Cole ran in and shouted "mom the crazy girl is holding Henry again". His mom shouted back " the crazy girl is your sister. Get over yourself "
"I refuse to believe that" he murmured and walked away. I shook my head and sauntered up the stairs to Sydney's room.

Her walls were made of glass and the floor was chessboard black and white. She hopped her way to the bed. Only stepping on the white squares. She once said when she was 14 she mistakenly fell on a black square and had her siblings pour holy water all over her. The experience was scary and now, even though she sleep walks, she somehow subconsciously cannot step on the black squares.

Creepy? No. Cool? Definitely.

"Hey Sydney can I tell you something? " I started.

"Sure do you want fries with that? "

I already knew that meant go on.

"Well you remember Sheila's party. The one for her sweet sixteen"

"Oh yeah! The one with purple elephants right? "

I just stared and nodded my head not bothering to tell her those still didn't exist.....yet

"Yeah whatever. So I met this guy-"

"-George Clooney? "

"No! His name is-"

"-Denzel Washington? "