(XXVII) International Lover

It was hard to leave Prince. Our separation anxiety kicked in the minute we got home from Wendy and Susannah's birthday party.

Since I would be gone for more than a couple of weeks, he decided to book a suite at a hotel near the studio. It was perfect for him being that he was constantly back and forth between Sunset Sound and a bed to lay his head.

But to make it even harder, the morning I left, he had gotten sick with a cold. I stayed with him in the suite the night before and he woke up with a sore throat and bad coughing. I had to fight with him to not go to studio and let his body rest. And while on my plane, I could only pray that he had really stayed put. I did give him cough medicine, so I hoped that knocked him out.

When I arrived to cold Minneapolis, I took a taxi to my parent's house. No one was there. So, I freshened up and used Lizzie's car to go to my grandmother's house. Prince had Corvette shipped to Los Angeles just a week before.

My great-grandfather didn't stay in the hospital long. He wanted to be taken home rather than surrounded by medical personnel constantly trying to extend his life. Over the last few years he had become very frail. He would always say to us, 'it's just old age.' He wanted to spend this time at home with his family surrounding him. So, I wasn't surprised when I walked in my grandmother's house and was greeted by my uncles, aunts, and cousins and all the greats.

Before I could kiss them all, I made it a priority to see my grandfather.

     My heart was so happy when he piped up a smile when seeing me walk in. "When did you get here?" his Louisiana accent rang.

My grandmother, May, was sitting in a chair at his side as he laid in his bed.

"I just flew in." Chills hit my spine as his cold hand barely grasped mine.

"You're so sweet. You didn't have to do that, baby."

"Of course I did. So I could tell you how much I love you."

He chuckled as I gave him a million kisses.

Then my great uncle Wilson came in with my cousin, Roxanne.

"I heard through the grapevine you were engaged," he said. He took possession of my hand and admired the ring.

Prince was expecting me to wear it on my left hand at all times now. No more promise ring.

"Is he serious about this?"

I was glowing. "Yeah."

"Look at this, pops."

My great-grandfather frowned towards the ring. "Now, who put that there?" he asked, with as much authority he could lace in his tone.

I laughed. But before I could answer, my uncle did. "You remember Prince Nelson."

"John?"

"No, poppa." I giggled. "That's his dad. Prince is John's son."

"Oh, okay... good."

I stayed at my grandmother's until the evening. A little after six, I headed back to my mom's house. The black Mercedes in the driveway indicated that she was home. But there was also another car behind hers. She had company.

I hadn't spoken to my mom since our dispute on New Year's. But it had been a month. I knew it was time and I was more than ready. I missed my mom.

But I was floored when I walked into the kitchen to see Miss Mattie sitting with my mom at the table.

Oh Lord. I just wasn't ready for a lecture.