Chapter 27

Forever Stay With Me

Cato

Cato's POV:

The wind blew through my hairs and the coldness surrounded me. The cornucopia was empty . The silence was the worst of it all.

She was dead.

She was gone.

And I knew that she was never coming back.

To fill the silence with her laughter and tease me for whatever I was doing, challenge me and kiss me with her lips.

But she was dead

And she was gone.

And She would never come back.

Clove.

Her name tasted my lips and spoke them, carried by the wind. Nothing happened while I said her name. The world remained her silence while my heart was screaming. I would start wars to get her back, rebellions if I had to. I would die for her to be with her. To see her one last time.

But I promised to win this. I promised.

I can't. I can't. I can't.

I will.

Her body is already gone, taken by the game makers in a hovercraft; send back to her district for her family Travis to mourn. What would he do? Clove wouldn't come back from him anymore. What would he be thinking? Was he scared? Angry on me for letting her die, for letting his big sister die?

The golden locket shone in the last light of the sun. I closed my hand around it. A tear flew out my eye and for one last time I Let myself be weak. My knees collapsed under me in the grass where Clove's murder had run away. With the satisfaction of his kill.

Thresh.

The district 11 boy. The one who Clove had feared from the beginning. I had to kill him.

I put the locket away. With a promise I would go to district 2.

Where would Thresh be? I didn't see him in the woods, so that wasn't an option. I looked around me for second.

Woods. Lake. Meadow.

My head turned back to the meadow. Thresh was from district 11 so it would be the most likely to, go somewhere where you knew it, like the meadow. He went where he knew it from home.

My feet ran before my mind had registered what I would do. With a new power I ran closer to the meadows. A power started by bloodlust. Like a flaming ignition who kept growing.

It kept getting darker and a storm appeared. The rain poured down on my face. My heart hurt when I thought of kissing Clove in the rain. I was so despair that day to find her back and there she was, all alone, looking for me.

I loved her. I loved her so damn much.

I was drenched after 2 minutes and it didn't take long to reach Thresh' camp. I noticed his green camouflaged tent quickly. I hid me behind a bush. When I looked closer I could see him, Thresh, he was eating something. He looked so normal, like he hadn't killed Clove a few hours ago. How would he feel? Would he be happy, feel the joy of his kill?

My first kill wasn't for revenge it was because I did what they told me.

I took my longest sword and I stalked him from behind. My sword shone in the light of the fire Thresh started. His head turned towards me. He looked shocked but he took a knife quickly to defend him, a knife that he had stolen from Clove.

Clove.

An anger fed me that I barely could breathe. It was only my sword and his throat

'You killed her !' I growled. It thundered loud somewhere near us. The storm got worse, more violent.

And with that scream and that thunder I attacked the killer of the only one I ever loved. He fell on the ground and tried to pierce me with his knife.

'You killed Clove!' I screamed again. Another thunder sounded loud through the sky. A tear fell down my face, mixed with the tears of the sky.

I hit him hard in the face and he struggled under the weight of my body when I sat on him.

''You killed Clove'' I whispered the words again, because maybe when I didn't speak out those word out loud, it wouldn't be true and she would still be here.

Another tear flew down my face but I shook my head. I couldn't let Thresh see how weak I was.

'You loved her?' he said, like it wasn't a question but a conclusion.

He stopped struggling and I wish he had. That he would scream for his life and plead to not kill him.

Thresh' face was a mix of everything. Confusion and horror.

He didn't think we, careers, were able to love. To hold someone without having the urge to kill them. Kissing someone you love without feeling hate.

'I do.' I hit him again with my fists and he seemed to realize again that I was about to kill him. He struggled under me but I had him in a firmly grip.

'I did' and with that I took a stone, one that looked like the one he killed Clove with.

'That was for Clove' I slammed the stone against his skull, like he had did with Clove, how he killed her.

I slammed him 5 times against the skull, blood splattered in my face and I knew after that 5th time he was dead. His eyes weren't alive anymore, filled with life.

I don't know if it was his canon or another thunder that sounded. But I knew he was dead and that I had my revenge.

But I wasn't happy that I revenged him. I felt nothing. Only emptiness.

I dragged myself, close to the cornucopia. I stared for hours where Clove had died, where she had screamed for me to save her and I heard her whispers that it was too late.

I would do anything to get her back. I would give my live, everything. All I ever wanted was Clove.

I must have missed the canon of Foxface because she appeared in the sky when the Capitol song ended.

It were only the three of us , fighting for our lives, to go back to our district, to the people who were waiting for us.

Katniss and Peeta had people to go to. But what about me? I had friends in District 2 but what did it matter? Clove was gone.

I closed my eyes, listening to the rain. I held the backpack of district 2 in my hand; Thresh had stolen it when he killed Clove.

What was in it? We already had everything, we had each other. I opened it and saw a sort of fabric In it.

It were 2 kind of clothing that covered anything except the face. The fabric was soft , but hard at the same time.

No way, I thought. It was a kind of armor, I had heard about it back in District 2. The fabric wasn't destroyable. I threw Clove's knife at it but as soon as it hit, the knife fell against the ground.

This was a protection against Katniss I realized. When she would shoot me, she had to hit my head otherwise it would.

The finale would be coming soon. I just had to wait a little longer and then it would be all over.