Chapter 28

Forever Stay With Me

Cato

Cato POV

The wood was quiet. The only thing I heard were the sounds of my shoes on the wet sticks and leaves. It was already dark. The invisible sun had already disappeared a few minutes ago. It was weird it only looked morning a few hours ago, but off course, with the game makers you could expect everything.

There were only 3 of us left. Katniss . Peeta. And me. I could handle Katniss and Peeta on my own I hoped.

My heart hurt. I was alone. I would go back to district 2 alone. Without her. I closed my eyes for a few moments to think how it was to have her. To hold her.  I had planned a future for us. A future that was futile.

I opened my eyes ,startled of a loud sound. I heard growls…

Like dogs. No. It was too loud for a dog. By every heartbeat the sound came closer.

‘Run!’ I heard Clove scream. My feet carried myself without even knowing what I was doing.

Run. Run. Run. Run

I had to keep running. I was only meters away when I heard them. I quickly glanced behind me and I wish I never had.

Black creatures sprinted behind me. I could catch the sight of a creature with green eyes. Glimmer? My mind was racing. No. No. I couldn’t be. I was impossible. Wasn’t it?

I was almost at the cornucopia when I felt a wolf bite in my leg. I screamed loud but I could throw him of me.

Run. Run. Run. Run.

With one jump , I was on the cornucopia. The dogs were still growling.

They weren’t wolves. I looked at the three who were trying to get on the cornucopia, but it was too high for them.

The one with the green eyes was so angry that I thought she might make it on the cornucopia. There was a little behind it with dark brown eyes, with a sort of innocence over her. Not her. It.

Was it? The green looked exactly as Glimmer and there was no doubt over the little one. Rue. Another wolf I didn’t recognize was glaring at me.

What the hell was happening?

There were more growls further away.

2 shadows ran toward the cornucopia.  They came closer and closer. I tightened the grip on my sword.

They became more clear. Peeta and Katniss.

My head hurt but I knew that they had to die. To take my last revenge for Clove.  I saw them climbing on the cornucopia. I stepped out of the vision so that I could surprise them when they were here.

I looked at the sky without stars. With the blue lines that remembered me that we were still in the arena, killing each other. Killing my Clove. Killing Peeta and Katniss now.

They were both on the cornucopia , staring at each other. I didn’t let them catch their breath when I attacked Katniss. She let out a startled sound and fell hard on the iron of the cornucopia. Peeta tried to hit me with his knife, but I dodged him and slammed him hard in his stomach. I looked back at Katniss who stood up now and hissed at me. She ran toward me and tried to push me of the cornucopia. Too bad I had trained on heights and knew what my opponent would do. I tackled her and I laid her in that position I could strangle her and that her head was right above the biting wolves.

She had 5 seconds before she would lose consciousness. 5 seconds before she was death.

3 seconds. Her vision was blurring by now.

2 seconds.Peeta threw me of her. He was strong. How could I forget?

‘’Stay away from her’’ I heard Peeta whisper.

It made me stop moving for a second. The despair in his voice. The pain. Was it real? Was the love after all real?

‘Move’ I heard Her whisper with the same despair as Peeta. I held Peeta tightly when Katniss pointed her arrow at me.

It was over.

Katniss glared at me but I saw something in her eyes. She was scared. Scared for losing Peeta. My throat felt dry but I could speak.

‘’Go on. Shoot.’’ I didn’t have to say more. She knew that if she would shoot. I would take Peeta with me into the sea of wolves who were patiently waiting for us.

‘’Im dead anyway.’’ I said. ‘’I’m dead without her, don’t you see?’’

Katniss was confused at first but then she must have remembered Clove’s screaming and me begging her to stay with me.

‘’I can’t go back without her. I can’t.’’ I pushed the tears back. ‘’ All I ever wanted was her. And know she’s gone because I wasn’t with her and I couldn’t protect her.’’ I whispered more to myself.

Katniss grip on her arrow softened. These are games I wanted to scream.

Kill me. Kill me. Kill me. Kill me.

‘Kill me’’ I didn’t know I said it out loud when I felt Peeta stiffen and saw Katniss shooting at me. I fell backwards and let Peeta go.

Pain ran through my veins when I hit the ground. My face bled. The wolf with the green eyes attacked me. I could hear her tear the flesh of my body. Now I was closer at the wolves, I could see that they all were wearing a collar with a number on it, like dogs. But this weren’t dogs.

The green one had a big one on its collar. District one.

I could barely breathe. When I looked around me I was all the other numbers. For every number there were 2 wolves. 2 tributes.

Rue, number 11 bit a piece out of my leg. I screamed and screamed and screamed until I couldn’t.

Then I saw her.

The one with the brown eyes and the black fur.

I knew who she was before I read the  collar.

2.

District 2.

While the other wolves were biting she just stood there, staring at me with those eyes I would recognize everywhere. I stopped defending myself. I just stared at her and saw images of Clove dancing for my eyes.

Suddenly she moved, like she was reprogrammed again. Like she had remembered me before. She changed and started helping the other to kill me, but I couldn’t stop looking at the mutation of Clove.

‘Pleas’ I said when I finally looked at Katniss. I saw her nod and then an arrow flew through the air.

‘’Thank you’’ I whispered, right before the arrow hit my head.

In 1 second the pain was gone. I was death. But I didn’t  care.

Because she was death.

And was gone.

And she would was never coming back.

I smiled when the darkness held me in his grip and the death came like a medicine. Clove laughed in my memories when the canon sounded and the never ending infinity started.

---------------------------------------------------

Hi guys ;). So I hoped you liked this fanfiction. I put a lot of time in it, but this was one of my first ships and im so happy that I finally finished this. I know it sucked sometimes and you wanted to stop reading this, but hey , here you are reading the last chapter.

Im gonna thank everyone in the epilogue(yes there is going to be an epilogue! Only a page though) because you mean so much to me. You really do. All the votes motivated me to write this and make this into my own Clato story.

I hoped you liked this chapter. And you keep reading this until the last epilogue( I hope I can upload it tomorrow. And I’m so grateful to the ones who were reading this from the beginning ;)

Thank you.x