Chapter 27 - "Schaefer Bound."

As my mouth remained on the floor, I glanced at Carlos, Stacey, and Q. They smiled at me, awaiting an answer.

"This so........sudden!" I said in a shocked tone, looking around.

"So, is that a yes?" Stacey asked.

I placed my hands on my hips, bowing my head.

"Look y'all this is nice, but 'ion know if I can stay here." I said, shaking my head.

"Why not, nigga?" Carlos growled. "We gotcho' ass a house!"

"This ain't some shit that I can just have an answer for overnight!" I chanted. "I still gotta clarify with Kathy. Her relatives stay in Washington."

"Come on, man." Q plead. "We been wantin' you t-"

"Nah, Q. Ease up on Josh, man. It ain't that easy like he said." Carlos said, placing his hand on his chest and shaking his head. "I mean, he got a crib AND a girl down in Washington."

As Q silenced, I looked at everyone and cracked a small smile.

"I leave tomorrow night." I said. "I'll have an answer by then."

The next day, Noah had to clock in his work as a doctor. He dropped Lily off to Isaiah's for her to stay there until his shift was over. As he placed on his rubber glove, a mother and her child walked inside of his room for an early appointment. 

The little girl appeared shaken.

"Good morning Stephanie." Noah smiled.

"Hello." The mother smiled back.

Noah looked at the little girl, watching her grip onto her mothers leg.

"What's wrong, Penny?"

"She's afraid to get shots." The mother sighed. "Unfortunately, we're going to have to deal with the crying today."

Noah smiled and crouched down to her, trying to make her as comfortable as possible.

"Hey Penny. Shots don't hurt that bad!" Noah smiled. "Guess what happens after you get them?"

"Hm?"

Noah smiled and pulled out a small sucker, twiddling it in his fingers. When Penny let go of her mothers leg and glanced at the sucker, Noah stood back up and shook his index finger.

"But you have to promise me that you won't cry once you get the shots?" Noah grinned. "Only big girls get suckers!"

Penny tucked in her lips, then nodded.

"Kay."

"Alright come on."

Noah picked the little girl up and placed her on his small bed. He lathered up her arm with a little bit of numbing medicine, then let her grip onto her mothers hand for support. He gave her her first shot, watching the little girl flinch. The second shot, the little girl didn't move at all. Seconds later, Noah applied a cotton ball to her arm and placed two band-aids over both injection marks.

"See?" Noah smiled. "Was it that bad?"

"Mmm mmm." The little girl grinned, shaking her head.

As Noah promised, he reached into his back pocket and handed it to her, watching her and her mother make their way out.

"What do you say, Penny?" Her mother asked in a strict tone.

"Tank you!" The snaggle toothed toddler smiled, waving her hand and grabbing onto her mothers hand as she walked out the door.