|7|

Royalty

"Wait so they're cousins?" My cousin Adrienne says. "Yes but that's before I knew Aug and D related or even knew each other."

"Ro getting all the boys." My aunt says. I laugh, "This is a headache. Me and August vibe really well and I do like him. I could see a relationship with him, we've been friends since freshman year but I feel like I would crossing a line some kind of way."

"How?" Adrienne asks.

I shrug my shoulders, "Not really sure, just a feeling."

"Stop talking yourself out of it. You always overthink everything. Just go with the flow." My aunt says. "But what about Darrien?"

"I thought you didn't care?" Adrienne rolls her eyes.

"I don't but I'm not trying to be looked at as a hoe either."

"That's long over and done with. He should understand that someone better was going to come along anyway and treat you the way you should be treated. You can't help that it's his cousin."

"Ro causing chaos at the family reunions." Adrienne says laughing. I laugh with her, "I don't want to do that though."

"Don't you have another friend?"

"I wouldn't call him a friend yet, his name is Zaire."

My cousin screams. "Zaire, Zaire? Oh my Gosh wait until I tell the girls at school about this." I look at my aunt to fill me in on what's the hype about. "Zaire is a local celebrity." She says.

"Doing what exactly?" I question. "He sings and girl he can really get down. If you don't want him I'll take him."

"Malachi will kill all of you." My aunt says getting up. I laugh, "Malachi is a trip. He gets on my nerves. Adrienne it has to be way worse for you."

"It's not. I just tell mommy and daddy. They know but Chi doesn't."

"That's horrible.... I'm going to get more lemonade."

My phone vibrates. I pick it up carefully not to let it fall in the water below me. "Who's that?" Adrienne asks. "It's August but I don't think this text was meant for me."

August: Why you still trippin off that? We were just talking. I'm a grown ass man and I don't have to explain anything to you.:

"Let me see." She reads the message. "It's definitely about you." I laugh, "Clearly Drien.... I would who it suppose to be sent to though."

"Based on the picture you showed me, he is fine so maybe a groupie tried it... They don't have nothing on Royalty."She brushes my shoulders off. I shake my head. "I mean unless it was Darrien... What are you going to say back?" She asks.

"Nothing. He probably realized he sent it to me and not to whoever it was for."

"You should ask like bae who hating."

I laugh, "Stop it."

"What's the problem? You like him, he likes you. Y'all look cute together like what's the problem?"

"Just slow your road Adrienne."

"Just speed up Ro, time is ticking."

My phone begins to ring. "Hello?" I answer. "Where you at lil lady?" I smile, "Over my aunt's house. What's up?"

"Can I come over?"

"Let me go ask." I get out of the pool. "Whatever it is say YES." Adrienne yells. I laugh walking inside. "Auntie Carol..."