Chapter 5

I finished the 200 hall without any issues and was about to start the 300 hall. I could see Dominic and Alex finishing up the front doors. They only had the 100 hall left. I looked down the 300 hall. The girl that was being feasted upon at the other end of the hall earlier was gone. All that was left was a pool of blood. I started opening doors and tried my best to ignore the blood as I inched closer and closer to it.

Most of the doors were already open on this hall so I had to be extra quiet because most were also filled with cannibals. As I reached the end, I found the last door wide open and was staring straight into the eyes of another cannibal. Blood was dripping from her mouth and hands. And I could see a huge hole in the middle of her stomach. The moment I realized that it was the girl that had been feasted upon I turned and ran.

I could hear her following me but I was faster than her and there was at least a couple feet between us. As I was about to reach the end of the hall I heard someone call out.

"DUCK," they yelled.

I immediately dropped to my knees and slid the rest of the way out. I looked behind me and saw Alex take a swing at the head of the unsuspecting cannibal girl. She fell to the ground dead, but five more cannibals came out of Mrs. Requizo's room at the sound of Alex's yell. So I got up and stood next to him. Spear ready. They came at us really fast so there was no time to come up with a plan. Just kill as many as we could without getting bitten.

We also tried to keep quiet while killing the cannibals, so as not to draw out anymore unwanted attention. The first one I killed, I speared from under their chin till the spear head hit the brain. Alex slammed his metal bat down hard on another actually breaking their skull in two. Then he swung at the side of one's head. I looked away from Alex and focused on the one that charged me. This time, when I stabbed through its eye, it actually worked and the cannibal fell to the ground. I looked back at Alex who was about to kill the last one with his spear.

I wondered where his bat went and looked down at the cannibals on the floor. One of them had the bat lodged in its mouth. It was still alive. Thrashing around like a rabid animal. I stabbed my spear into the cannibal's head. Alex walked over and pulled the bat from its mouth and I looked up at him.

"Thanks for saving my life," I said.

"No problem," he said back. "But going alone was a pretty stupid decision if you ask me."

He smiled. I looked down and blushed.

"Sorry. I just couldn't have asked that of anyone else, " I said, looking at him again.

"You wouldn't have had to. I would've volunteered."

We started walking back to the library.

"I wanted you to protect my brother," I told him.

"He can take care of himself. He's not exactly weak."

"Well I know that, but he's so prideful that he makes a lot of stupid choices. And I needed someone who could keep him in check."

Alex thought about that for a second as he held the library door open for me. I stepped in and he followed.

"Ok you have a point," he finally said. "But the next time you want to try something dangerous like that again please let the group know. Ok?" I smiled at him and nodded. "Good," he said.

We walked to the back of the library to wait for everyone else. Dominic was already sitting at one of the tables so we joined him. Slowly but surely everyone made it back unharmed. Niana and Marissa said they killed a few cannibals walking around in the hallway and Seth killed one that couldn't walk. I was about to tell everyone that we should get ready for the next part of our plan when Mackenie spoke up.