Chapter 3

I already knew it would be me. I couldn't ask that of anyone else and I wasn't going to let someone else volunteer either. I would come up with the groups of two as we worked on getting everything we needed for Seth. Then as soon as I told them the groups I would walk out and not let anyone try to talk me out of it. I just couldn't risk anyone else's life. It wouldn't be fair of me. I looked up at all my friends and family.

I wasn't paying much attention to what they were saying, it was Alex's turn to talk, but looking at my sisters and brother made me think about the rest of my family at home. How were things going with them? Were they even still alive? I shook my head slightly. Of course they were alive. I couldn't doubt my own family.

"Arianna," Alex called out questioningly.

I came back to reality at the mention of my name and looked at Alex. I hadn't heard anything he said.

"Huh?"

"Is there anything you wanted to add?"

"Yeah like the groups of two," Marissa asked.

"Right," I continued with. "I'll figure that out while we get everything set up in the library. If you guys are ready we should head out now," I finished.

"Wait," Seth called out. "What about the people who don't have weapons?"

"We could use the guns," the other R.O.T.C. student suggested. "You can't shoot them but it's close enough to a bat."

"Good idea," Niana said. "Maybe we can trade some of the weapons we already have for those. These scissors can't do much for long."

"I've been thinking about that," Alex added. "Even this bat wouldn't be good enough if you don't kill it with the first hit."

"Construction," I blurted out. Everyone looked at me. "The construction room. We could make our own weapons. It would make getting our plan underway take longer but safety is what matters."

Alex nodded but was still thinking, then stated, "how about this? Your group has less equipment to grab; so when you guys get what you need, you drop it off and then your group can start making weapons while mine deals with setting up the library."

"Yeah that way we could get more done as fast as possible," Mackenzie exclaimed. "And Arianna already knows how to work the equipment because she had technology class last semester."

"Plus the doors drown out most of the sound so it shouldn't attract too much unwanted attention," Kayla added.

Alex looked to me for approval.

"Sounds good to me," I said with a shrug. "It'll give me more time to think of our groups of two."

~~~ Alex's P.O.V ~~~

As Arianna's group left the classroom, I began to do the math in my head. There was obviously something Arianna wasn't telling us that was putting a damper on her mood. Someone was going to have go alone on the "group of two mission." Maybe she just didn't want to choose who would have to do it. Of course I wouldn't mind. And I know she knows others would volunteer. I guess she just didn't know who to pick.

I gathered my group and lead them quietly out of the 100 hall, down the 300 hall, and finally to Mr. Smith's room. I wasn't exactly thrilled with my group seeing as I was stuck with Arianna's brother. He didn't seem to like me much and I could tell he was a pretty stuck-up kind of person. But I guess she felt he was safer with me than with her. And I could understand that. Must be why Niana and Marissa are with me as well.