Chapter 19

~~~ Seth's P.O.V. ~~~

I watched Derc carefully as he walked in front of me towards the high school. I was nervous. I didn't know what he had planned for me. I was also confused as to why he didn't bring the rest of his group. When we got there I caught a quick glimpse of Alex through a classroom window. I wasn't sure if he saw me. I looked back to Derc. It didn't seem like he saw Alex. He wasn't looking in that direction.

"Come here boy," Derc said when he stopped.

I had been following all his orders. They were small orders, but following them meant I didn't have to be tied up.

"What do you want," I asked as I stood in front of him.

"Press this when I tell you to," was all he said.

He reached out his hand and in it was what looked like a remote to a toy car. I was a little confused. What exactly did he expect me to do with this? He spoke to his walkie talkie but I didn't hear what he said. Derc continued walking so I followed, wishing like hell that I could be back with my group. But I knew he'd shoot me the second I tried to escape. We ended up behind bushes. Then I heard screams. But not like living, human screams. The screams of the undead. And there were a LOT of them.

Turning to Derc I asked, "What's going on?"

"Press the right button and you can save your friends. But if you press the wrong one they all die. If you don't choose a button they'll die anyways. It's your choice. Only one button is the right one."

~~~ Derc's P.O.V. ~~~

I watched as horror filled Seth's eyes. I took great delight in it. What the boy didn't know was that it didn't matter which button he pressed. All would have the same outcome. Hillman had set a small bomb up at an entrance to the school. The others led a hoard of zombies in the direction of the school. Seth needed to make an opening. He had six buttons to choose from. This was how I would get him to betray his group. I was going to mentally torture him.

"What happens if I press the wrong button," Seth asked.

"Press a button boy. There's no time for questions. They all die if you don't choose now."

~~~ Seth's P.O.V. ~~~

I looked down at my shaking hands. This was too much for me. With a push of one button I could potentially kill my new family. But not pushing one would guarantee their death. I had to be smart about this. And I had to choose fast. The off button seemed too obvious. Derc would never choose that one. The on button seemed like a good choice but I had the other four buttons to consider.

I looked up at Derc for a second. Something about his smerk bothered me. I looked down at the control. Trusting my gut I pressed the forward button. I looked up at the school. Nothing happened at first. Then there was a huge explosion. I stood and ran for the school. I didn't even think. I just had to get inside. Then Derc grabbed my shirt collar and pulled me back. I stumbled a bit and when I looked at the school again I fell to my knees. Derc began screaming into his walkie talkie about the explosion being too big. I didn't pay much attention though. I just watched as the flames grew. I wanted to die. I just killed my family.

~~~ Alex's P.O.V. ~~~

I coughed as smoke began to fill the cafeteria. I fought off a few zombies and headed to the drama room, dragging the corpse I picked behind me. I shut the door as I entered. Each of us had decided to pick a cannibal to bring with us. Then we switched clothes with them to make them look like us. Afterwards we piled them into a couple of the shopping carts and pushed them to the gym hall doors. That way it looked like Derc had killed us and we could figure out a way to save Seth without Derc worrying about us. I even took the now burnt walkie talkie and sat it next to the body that looked like Arianna.