Chapter 10

~~~ Derc's P.O.V. ~~~

The kid wouldn't listen to me. I was testing him. I needed more men, real men, to follow me. But he seems to me like he was too weak to do it. If he didn't comply, I'd just kill them both.

"Kill her," I demanded. "Kill her or you both die." I pointed my gun at his head.

"No," the boy said. "I'm not going to do it."

"Why not," I asked perplexed. "You killed the other boy with no problem."

"I was protecting her," he answered.

"Protecting," I laughed. "What a fine job you did. I mean look at her. She's practically dead already. Why don't you just put her put of her misery?"

"No," the boy yelled.

As I was about to pull the trigger on my gun, another idea came to me. I pulled my gun from his head and walked around him. Then swooped the girl up. She yelped.

"What are you doing," the boy asked panicked.

"I'm going to help you," I lied. The boy pointed his gun at me. "Come now. You wouldn't want me to hurt her now would you? Put the gun down boy. You don't even have the guts."

"Don't fucking test me," he replied. "Put her down."

"Ok ok," I said lowering the girl slightly.

Then I lifted her up and prepared to throw her down.

"No!" The boy raised his hands in a surrendering motion. I held the girl above me. "Please. Don't drop her. I'll let you help."

"Good boy," I replied. I lowered the girl some. "Let's go now."

I carried the girl out the room and heard the boy follow close behind. I looked down at the girl. The girl was Hispanic. Mexican probably. She had long, dark hair and her eyes looked almost black. She was pretty tall for a Hispanic girl though. I smiled a knowing smile at her because she was glaring at me. I didn't know if she was shaking from fear, pain, or anger. Or maybe a bit of all three. Whatever it was, it was clear she did not trust me. And she had every reason not to.

~~~ Arianna's P.O.V. ~~~

I wanted to get away from this awful man. I didn't trust him at all. He must have something up his sleeve. I looked over the man's shoulder at Alex. He was following close behind ready to jump into action the moment something went wrong. I could tell he was worried and confused. But he seemed to have something up his sleeve too. We were passing the technology room when I saw Marissa, Dominic, and Seth running up behind Alex. Caitlyn must still be in the cafeteria or with Niana.

I pointed behind Alex and he looked back and saw our friends. He put a finger to his lips and then waved them away. They all nodded and Marissa lead them down the 600 hall and away from sight. Alex turned back around and glanced at me. I wish I knew what he was thinking. I stared questioningly at him, but he just shook his head no.

"Tell me," the man said. "Where are you guys living in this school?"

Just as I was about to lie, Alex spoke up. "The library." I looked at him confused. He shook his again and put a finger to his lips. I trusted him and kept quiet. "It was the best place we could think of. There's a side door coming up on your right. It's the door we use but you need a master key to get in."

"Do you have one boy," the man asked.

"I do," I said before Alex could say anything. "But I left it in the cart." I heard the man swear quietly.