Chapter 13

~~~Alex's P.O.V. ~~~

"Alex, lay down," Arianna demanded. "Stay still and try not to move your head too much." She sat back down in the wheelchair. I didn't fully understand what was going on. I was still in shock at what Arianna had said before. "Someone get him out of here," she yelled out.

Arianna pulled her cutting board blades out from the back pocket of her wheelchair. Someone tried attacking her I think. I couldn't really tell. My vision was blurry. There were lots of fuzzy, black spots blocking my vision. I was just too confused to understand what was happening. Suddenly someone was pushing me and I heard people yelling. What the hell was going on?

"You better hope she survives boy," I heard.

I couldn't place a face to that voice but he sounded so familiar. My head started pounding harder trying to remember who he was.

"What," I asked. "What do you mean?"

"Don't act stupid boy," was all the person said.

What did he mean? Doesn't he know I hit my head? I mean I was sure everyone was there when Arianna was checking my head. It was all so confusing. But honestly, all I wanted was to be with Arianna. To feel her kiss me again.

~~~ Marissa's P.O.V. ~~~

Arianna had become an entirely different person. The moment Derc snatched Alex from us, she became dark. Almost sinister. I wasn't sure I liked it. She was pinned against a wall but it didn't stop her. She was chopping at the living-dead around her. She had abandoned her wheelchair and was balancing herself as best as possible while fighting. I was trying to get to her so she could have some help.

Most zombies were shot in the head by Seth and I. I had Alex's pistol. Seth had Kenneth's rifle. We had taken a lot of the cannibals out but there were still enough that the group became overwhelmed. I could tell some of our people had died and come back. Our group was dwindling. Everyone from our original group was still standing. Not counting Alex that is. I wasn't sure if he was still alive, but I felt Derc was probably keeping him alive. From what I could see at least 5 of the newcomers were left.

Arianna cried out and I looked in her direction. She was on the ground with one zombie trying to bite her broken leg. I turned and hit the last cannibal chasing me in the head with my pistol. It fell to the ground and as it tried to get back up I kicked it in the head cracking the neck. The cannibal went limp. When I got to Arianna I could see the corpse hadn't bitten her. It couldn't get past the metal and bandages around her broken leg. Arianna was trying to kick at the cannibal to no avail.

I grabbed one of her cutting board blades from the ground and sliced the zombies head off. Then I kneeled down beside Arianna. She looked like she was in a lot of pain and completely worn out. She needed rest. I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Stay here," I said. "You can't be on that leg anymore."

She slapped my hand away and forced herself to stand.

"I'm fine," she half yelled. "I can help find Alex."

"Arianna stop," I demanded. "Can't you see what he's doing? It's obviously a trap. You and Alex are the ones he wants dead. He knew taking Alex would get to you."

"I don't care. Alex is stuck with that monster. Derc is going to hurt him." Tears began to fill Arianna's eyes. "It's going to be like Veronica. It'll probably be worse." The tears suddenly stopped. "I won't let it happen Marissa," she whispered. Then she was back to that dark, sinister side of her that I had never seen before. "I won't. I'll kill Derc if I have to. But I will not let Alex get hurt."