Chapter 2: Sword Fighting Duel

Evanity’s POV

“Have you met the Daughter of Dalian before?” I asked Tarah and Avery then took a bite from my fish and chewed it slowly. After we landed at the edge of the lake we immediately had lunch inside the forest which consisted of the fishes that we had caught in the lake earlier.

“Only once when we were still little,” Avery replied swallowing down his food. “But I could hardly recall what she looks like.”

“I remember that we always had a hard time getting along well with each other,” Tarah answered laughingly. “We always used to argue even the smallest of things.”

I winced slightly wondering whether I would also get along well with her after her nasty attitude towards Tarah. “What about the Son of Scandran? Have you met him before?”

“Well, he and the Daughter of Dalian are twins, Vann,” Avery told me finishing his lunch.

“The kingdoms of Batidalle and Scandra were both united with each other a long time ago,” Tarah explained further after seeing my bewildered look. “Both of the kingdoms were considered a single empire. But then war took place between both of the kingdoms and they decided that it was best to separate both of them, thus returning peace and order in both of the kingdoms.”

“The Learnah who ruled the kingdom of Batidalle bore twins while the new Learnah of the kingdom of Scandran remained as a maiden after she vowed never to marry,” Avery continued. “And so they’ve decided that one twin – the Daughter of Dalian – would become the successor to the Dalian throne while the other twin – the Son of Scandran – would rule the kingdom of Scandran someday.”

“So they must look a lot like each other,” I concluded wondering whether I would also get along well with the Son of Scandran if he also has the same attitude with that of his twin sister.

Tarah chuckled. “In contrary, they looked really different from each other, Vann. You wouldn’t know that they’re twins unless you look closely in their eyes because the only similarity that they both have is probably their beautiful almond shaped hazel eyes.”

I nodded then ate the remaining pieces of my meal. We cleaned up our lunch afterwards then Avery turned to face me and with a slight glimmer of mischief in his sapphire eyes and he asked me, “So… Are you ready to get beaten, Vann?”

“No. But I’m excited to see you lose, Ave,” I replied smirking confidently at him.

“While you guys are dueling each other, I’ll just go and check out how much farther we have to travel until we reach Javvah City,” Tarah called behind her shoulder as she trudged deeper into the forest with Tristan at her heels.

“Okay then. Be careful,” her brother called after her.

Avery turned to face me and nodded his head. I nodded back and we both unsheathed our swords at the same time. Avery brandished a two-handed longsword with a cross hilt of forward-sloping quillons while I wielded Tarah’s rapier which is a slender and sharp pointed sword.

I stared unblinkingly at Avery’s bright blue eyes slightly intimidated by his intense gaze on me but refused to show any hint of cowardice in my face. We slowly circled each other twice each of us figuring out an opening on where to attack the other. Then Avery swiftly brought down his sword towards me and I parried his strike and countered bringing my sword right over his head which he dodged by ducking quickly.

The metallic sounds of sword against sword echoed throughout the entire forest drowning the other noises that the animals were making all around us. I began to lost track of the time as I continued to evade my opponent’s offenses while trying to aim my attacks against him at the same time. I slashed, parried and aimed a thrust at him which he all seem elude speedily as well.