Chapter 9: The Art Of Kissing

Avery’s POV

The cool night air rippled the ankle-length grass making it sway gently with the wind while the forest all around us seemed to come to life as different kinds of nocturnal animals actively searched for their prey in the darkness.

I’m sitting cross-legged on the grassy ground with Evanity’s head resting on my lap while continuously stroking her long, curly chestnut blonde hair. Her emerald green eyes were closed tightly as she slept after our fight with Dallen and her face looks so peaceful and serene as if the battle awhile ago had never happened in the first place. Several minutes ago, I had healed all of the wounds that she had gotten from the battle and now her smooth skin was now illuminating a luminous and a healthy glow when it was touched by the moonlight.

My eyes travelled from Evanity to look at my sister who was sitting on the ground with her back resting against a tree trunk just a few feet away from us. Just like what I had done to Evanity I had also healed all of Tarah’s wounds and shifted her position from the hard ground to where she is right now.

All of a sudden, a golden glistening light appeared out of nowhere as my gazelle-seclaire Kyra materialized right in front of me. She stared at both of us for a moment through her large, gentle brown eyes then asked me, How is she Ave?

“She’s fine now, Kyra,” I said smiling at her. “She’s just resting now but she’ll wake up soon.”

At the sound of my voice, Evanity stirred slowly from her sleep and opened her eyes then lifted her gaze to look at me. “Hey, Ave… thanks for saving me again.”

“No,” I shook my head slightly then smiled softly at her. “Thank you for saving me back there from Dallen.”

She chuckled lightly then gradually hoisted herself up in a sitting position then to my surprise she rested her head on my shoulder. “Until now… I still couldn’t believe what just happened awhile ago…” she sighed heavily then leaned closer against me and turned her head to look at me.

“Yeah… me neither.”

“I-I’m really sorry, Ave, for not believing you last night when you told me that Dallen was actually a Cabrian,” she said sounding really remorseful. “If I had believed you then this wouldn’t have happened…” Her voice faltered and all of a sudden I felt something wet land on my shoulder and after glancing at her I realized that she was crying.

“Vann,” I grabbed her shoulder lightly and turned her so that we faced each other. “It’s okay. None of us wanted this to happen. It’s not your fault.”

She glanced up at me through her tearstained eyes and then wiped her tears away with the back of her hand. “I’m also sorry for trusting him and thinking that we could actually be friends.”

“It’s alright. It’s over now,” I said then out of the blue a question popped into my mind. “But why did you trust him so easily when you first met him?”

She averted her gaze at me and even with her hair covering her face I could still see the tears streaming down her cheeks and right away regretted what I just asked her.

“I… I don’t know,” she admitted with her head still lowered to the ground. “At that time, I was still foolish to think that… to think that…” Her voice began to waver again and she drew a deep breath trying to control herself from crying in front of me.

“Evanity…” I lifted her chin with my hand and gazed at her for a moment. Tears cascaded freely down her cheeks and without any hesitation I started wiping away her tears using my thumb. My gaze fell from her bright emerald green eyes down to her lips and on a sudden impulsive desire I began tracing the outline of her luscious red lips then stopped when I noticed her eyes widening in astonishment.