8| Am I Even Good Enough?

Idea from Regis1998

Mal's POV

We were playing a friendly match and it was the 90th minute with 2 minutes of stoppage time and I was running down the flank trying get inline and just as I got into the box I got tripped earning a PK.

"Mal take it!"I hear Carli yell from the bench.

I nod looking at her and walking up to the ball and placing it on the spot the ref blew her whistle and I completely sky it.

I walk back down field and get ready for the keeper to boot it and just as it lands on the ground the ref blows her whistle signaling the end of the game.

I walk immediately to the other team and shake their hands then to the four officials then walk in to the locker room and take a seat in my locker putting my head in my hands.

I feel someone walk in behind me and sit down beside me putting a hand on my shoulder. I look up and see Hope.

"You know that shot kinda reminded me of something," she said in a soothing tone but I just couldn't handle it.

"What that I'm just a stupid teenager who shouldn't be on this team?" I say back down putting my head in my hands once again.

"Mal? What did you just say?" I hear KO say. I look up and the rest of the team is standing in the door.

"What? I'm just saying the truth."

"Actually, I have something to show you." Carli says pulling out her phone and showing me a video of her taking her PK in the 2011 World Cup Final. "That was me, I know exactly how you're feeling. I did the same thing."

"And look at her now, freaking world player of the year." Tobin says sitting beside me placing her hand on the small of my back.

"Not to mention only a year later she scored the winning goals in the Olympics and 4 years later she scored 3 goals in the World Cup Final." JJ says.

"Thanks guys." I say standing up and they all give me a big group hug.

------------------------------------------------

Third Person's POV

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the Olympic Gold Medal Match for Women's Football. It's 4 time gold medalists USA against forth place finishers in the 2012 Olympics France." The announcers said. "Here is the USA's starting lineup as usual Hope Solo in the net, Kelley O'Hara, Julie Johnston, Becky Sauerbrunn and Meghan Klingenberg on the back line with Megan Rapione on the far side with Morgan Brian and Carli Lloyd in the middle of the park and Tobin Heath on the near side. The only substation from the semi final against Japan is Alex Morgan in for Christen Press and Mallory Pugh in for Crystal Dunn."

The teams were walking onto the field following their captains.

After the national anthems of both countries the captains did the coin toss and the USA won.

The teams set up and Carli and Mal were standing over the ball.

"I'm proud of you kid." Carli said before the whistle blew.

"Thanks Car," Mal said just as the whistle blew and they were off.

It was the 20th minute when Kling played a ball threw to Tobin who had spun her defender and was able to get a quick service into the box and Mallory some how got up over her defender and headed it in.

"The 18 year old Mallory Pugh! Scored the first goal of the gold medal match here in Rio De Janeiro." the announcer said.

Meanwhile Mal just ran straight at Tobin and jumped into her arms.

"Mal! What did I tell yea? You are good enough to play for this team!" she said more like yelled trying to get Mal to hear her.

"Thank you guys!"

But that wasn't the end of Mal's scoring that day, in the 89th minute she got on a breakaway from a French miscue.

She went to the right side and shot just getting it away from the keepers hands but still keeping it on frame.

"Goal!!!! In the 89th minute, Mallory Pugh again scoring for the USA! And that's gonna do it for this match. The USA wins Gold yet again and France takes home their first ever medal in the tournament with a silver. The final score here in Rio De Janeiro it's the USA 2 France 1 with 2 goals from the 18 year old Mallory Pugh for the USA and a goal from Amandine Henry. Thanks for joining us and up next will be the awards ceremony." the announcer says just as the whistles signalling the end of the game sound.

"Mal!!" Alex said running up to her. "You did it! You won us the gold." she said picking her up and spinning her around.

"It wasn't just me. It was the entire team." Mal said as soon as Alex let her down.

"I think I touched the ball 7 times in the whole match." Alex pointed out.

"But you had most of the defenders on you and like 1 on me so..."

"Whatever," she said shaking Mal's hair. "I'm still proud of you dork."

--------------------------------------------
A/N
So I'm currently camping so I have limited wifi but I get back tomorrow but for now this is all I got.

Vote, Comment, DoWhat You Want

Xo, Liz

P.S My sibling want me to join the soccer team when my school starts try outs in May but I'm nervous cuz I've never been on a team before. What do?