15| Everything's Gonna Be Fine

Prompt from Infinitefanfic

Tobin's POV

A lot's changed in four years, last year we won the World Cup, first to do that back to back but just as last world cup we had many people retire.

Pinoe retired, Whit was more forced into retirement but still said she decided to retire and the most heartbreaking to us was Ali who announced her retirement just before the World Cup run.

I sat in my chair beside Alex and Allie who I was having a conversation with while we waited for our plane to arrive when I looked over and saw Mal sitting by herself zoning out.

I stand up and excuse myself from the conversation before walking over to Mal.

"Hey Mal-Pal, Penny for your thoughts?" I say sitting in the open seat to her left.

"What?" she asks looking at me confused and I just roll my eyes.

"Gosh how young are you that you don't know that?" I said shaking my head. "It means what you thinking kiddo?"

"Oh, than why didn't you just say that?" she questions shrugging her shoulders.

"Because, stop avoiding the question stud."

"I don't know, just nervous."

"About what?" I ask  putting my arm around her shoulder.

"I mean, we're back at the Olympics. It's just a bit mad. A bit unnerving considering." she says leaning her head on me and I could feel the looks of several of my teammates.

"Considering what babe?"

"Considering what happened last time." 

"Hey, you know that that was a long time ago. You're kinda a World Cup Champion now."

"And you're a two time World Champion and a two time Olympic gold medalist."

"Aye, this isn't about me. Mal you know this isn't the same as last time. We have a MUCH better coach." I say and we both look over to Anson who was once again the head coach of the National Team. "It also helps that we don't have a perfectly healthy player on the bench and an injured player who hadn't played in eight months on the roster."

"Yeah I guess but it's still a little crazy. It was my first big tournament. Not counting the SheBelieves Cup." she says and I just laugh.

"SheBelieves doesn't count." I say laughing as Lindsey walks up with Alex.

"SheBelieves doesn't count for what?" Alex asks sitting on the other side of me as Lindsey sits on the other side of Mal.

"Being a big tournament." I deadpan and Alex and Lindsey just burst out laughing.

"Yeah, the tournament that has a trophy that looks like tire irons? Such a big tournament. So much at stake." Lindsey says laughing. "Saying that, we haven't lost it once so..."

"Yeah because these two keep saving our asses." I say putting my hands on Mallory and Alex's head shaking them.

"Yeah well..." Alex stars before I cut her off.

"2016 - vs France, Mal with the assist to Alex Morgan's goal in the 91st minute, vs Germany in the final Alex Morgan amazing equalizing goal in the 35th minute while Mallory Pugh had made a blasting impact on the game." I start and take a pause before Lindsey starts with the 2017 stats.

"2017 - vs England, Mallory Pugh with the game winner in the 12th minute with an assist from none other than Alex Morgan, vs France Alex Morgan with a goal in the 83rd minute with an assist from Mallory Pugh, vs Germany in the final Tobin Heath with a goal coming from an amazing through ball from Mallory Pugh very similar to what happened in the CONCACF qualifying tournament in 2016 and another goal from who but Alex Morgan who scored off an Morgan Brian corner that got flicked on by who other than Mallory Pugh pushing the lead to 2 nil in the final of the SheBelieves Cup."

"2018 - against Canada, Crystal Dunn scores in the 10th minute off a Alex Morgan rebound, 76 minutes later Alex Morgan scores a goal of her own off a Lindsey Horan long ball, 3 minutes later than that Mallory Pugh scores off a Canadian miscue, vs France in the final Mallory Pugh scores once more allowing her to have enough goals for her to win the golden boot of the tournament."

"2019 - with Alex Morgan out with an ankle injury, Mallory Pugh scored 6 goals in the tournament, 2 against France, 1 against Germany, 1 against Canada and in the final against England she scored the game winners with two goals."

"2020 - with Alex Morgan back, Morgan was assisted 4 time by Pugh and Pugh by Morgan 3 times. Morgan wining the golden boot and Pugh wins the golden ball with 6 total assists of the tournament beating Tobin Heath by 1 assist." I say smiling at Mal.

"Sorry boo." she says shrugging her shoulders at me before leaning her head back on mine.

At least she's not thinking about the past anymore.

----------------------------------------------------

A/N

Okay I'm really sorry this is so short and took so long to write but I just got my report card back and all of my marks except one is high 70s to low 90s. In Social I'm getting a 68 and it's pissing me off. But whatever I'm hoping on writing more in the future.

P.S U20 Canada team is pissing me off just thought to add that.

Vote, Comment, Do What You Want

Xo, Liz

P.P.S all the request you guys sent are in the works so please continue to request them!