Defender

"I don't understand this place." You mumble.

You run your hand through his smooth black fur, he faces the deadheads completely oblivious to your pain, fear, confusion.

"If only you could talk." You mumble again, this time Bark looks at you, he smiles as he pants. You rub his head and he licks your hand, you smile and pull away from the reach of his slobbery, rough tongue.

Bark is the glades dog, everyone says he belongs to Winston because he hangs around with him but you reckon it's because Winston is always covered in animal's blood and guts.
You've been in the glade for almost a week and it's been horrible, none of the guys seem to be able to talk normally to you, their either too busy hitting on you or ordering you around. They all have this obsession with playing truth, dare or kiss, at first you thought it was a funny game so joined in hoping to make friends but all to quickly you realised that they just wanted to kiss you. Now you avoid them spending all day with Bark or trying to work out this place.
You haven't got a job yet, in fact you haven't even had the tour, Alby keeps talking about it but he is always kept busy arguing over what to do with you. There is this one guy called Gally who is certain that your bad news and wants you to be banished but apparently this guy called Newt keeps standing up for you. You haven't even met him let alone seen him.

A stick snaps behind you ripping you out of your thoughts, a tall boy with messy blond hair stands, his weight shifted on to one leg. His arms are crossed and his eyes are latched onto you, a small smile tugs at the corner of his mouth.

"How ya doing greenbean?" He asks in a thick accent.

"Fine." You mutter as he sits next to you.

"Hell of a first week, hell of rest of your life."

"Yeah."

He fidgets with his fingers, his eyes avoiding yours.

"Who are you?" You ask scared and confused.

He looks up, "oh yeah sorry, names Newt." He sticks out his hand.

Excited and nervous at finally meeting the famous Newt, you anxiously shake his hand, "y/n."

"I heard, first girl in the glade, I would be bloody surprised if any glader here didn't know you."

You blush upset that you are attracting so much attention.

He puts his hand on your knee, "there's no reason to feel awkward or upset, we're locked in the glade by large walls guarded by grievers, every shank here knows every other shank."

"Thanks, why are you standing up for me?" You speak so quietly your amazed he can hear you.

He leans back and let's out a long tiresome sigh, "I believe that every shank that comes out that bloody box deserves an equal chance at livin', even if their a girl."

You smile, watching the grass.

"It's wrong for ya to be banished for just bein' a girl, you didn't chose your gender... I think." He says.

You laugh a small laugh that sounds so out of place. You haven't heard yourself laugh yet and it feels and sounds odd, but yet it seems to fit your appearance, personality and voice. Newt laughs as well, it's more of a deep chuckle that makes you laugh more, his laughs sounds good in your ears, maybe you knew Newt before this but only the creators will know that now.

You sit in a silence patiently waiting for him to talk.

He scratches his head and licks his lips, "You haven't had the tour have ya?"

You shake your head, next to you Newt jumps to his feet brushing himself down before pulling you up by your hand. He pulls you up into him and you stumble into his chest pushing against his top, he smells of dirt, sweat and animal muck. You scrunch your nose and step away, he chuckles at your face and holding onto your hand pulls you towards the large wonky building that leans to one side.

You look up at the large structure, you've slept in it for a whole week but Newt explained a lot about the building: why it's wonky, why it has floorboards missing and even why there is a large black and white  picture of a woman. Learning all this new stuff made you look at the building in a different light, from the 'what the hell is that?' To 'I like it'.
Newt took you around all the other places, he's so patient and listens to your questions willing to give an answer unlike all the other shanks. Shank! Your now using their language, the word felt strange but at the same time comfortable on your tongue rolling off in a perfect flick of the tongue. 

Newt stops in the middle of the glade, he smiles cutely, he's had that smile on the whole tour and every time you saw it you couldn't help but smile alongside him.

"Jobs, greenie... Sorry, y/n, we have: slopper, track-hoe, bagger, builders and brick-nicks they are kinda the same, we've got: cook, med-jacks and finally slicer." He counts them off on his fingers, lowering a finger at every name.

You nod your head there are so many jobs to choose from, you notice that he didn't mention runners.

"Most of the shuckin' keepers will want you so I'll stop you being a slopper, bagger, builder and slicer. You could be a med-jack or cook." He mumbles to himself.

"What about a runner?" You ask quizzically.

"You don't get to be a bungin' runner."

"Why? Because I'm a girl." You ask folding your arms over your chest.

"No because they don't have any spaces free."

You look at the floor, you didn't mean to accuse Newt of being sexist it's just so many gladers would.

He looks you up and down, "I like ya greenie, if you need a friend I would be wil..."

You cut him off by shouting, "yes!"

He smiles and links his arm with yours  in a really cheesy manner, you smile up at him and your new and first friend walk off to dinner.