The Dream and The Realisation.

The morning of Endercon and the sun was shining as bright as a redstone lamp. Endercon was the most exciting day of the year and I just had to be ready. Up in the treehouse in the woods resided what people may call friends but what I call family. Thrashing my armor stand with my wooden sword, she walked over to the window and placed down redstone. Typical Olivia, always carrying the stuff. I personally wasn't a redstone whiz like she was but it was still interesting to see. And rare from where we come from.
"Soooo I've got some daylight sensors on the roof.."
"Mhm" I didn't particularly feel like concentrating on what she was saying. She was effectively throwing me off my groove!
"And if I did this right, these lamps should turn on once it gets dark"
I put my sword down with a grunt as I'd lost my concentration to continue sparring with the armor stand. Why would she need lamps when we're all going to Endercon?
I began to ask but as per usual, she interrupted. "I didn't wanna leave Reuben here with nothing while we're at the building competition"
I frowned confused, turning around to face her. "He's coming with us??"
"Really?" She sounded displeased.
"What kind of question is that, of course he is?"
By this moment in time, my loyal companion was stood by my side after pushing the stand back into its place.
"Okay.. I'm not saying he shouldn't come. I'm not. But don't you think its a little weird you take him with you everywhere you go?" She questioned curiously.
Puzzled, I looked down at Reuben. He glanced up at me too, just as baffled as me. That's the special thing about Reuben; he's smarter than most of the people in the Overworld.. which is amazing by a pigs standards.
Raising my head back up, I looked at Olivia puzzled but happily "He's my best-friend"
Reuben oinked excitedly as he jumped up onto the window ledge. He always had the brightest smile on his face - it could make anyone happy!
"But I thought I was your best-friend!" Olivia protested slightly offended. I mean of course she was my best-friend, and Axel too. But Reuben had been there since day one. I couldn't not have him at the top of my list.
"Both of you are" I reassured her, placing my sword into my inventory as I spoke. It wasn't a lie but it wasn't the truth. Reuben would always come first. Always.
Again, Reuben as he looked at me oinked happily. I grinned back at him. A feeling inside of me could tell this was going to be an interesting da--a-what?

What?

My eyes shot open. The surroundings were blurred but they were familiar - but I knew that this wasn't home. Without thinking, I sat up and called "Reuben? Boy?"

....

Oh.
The realisation hit me. Just like it does every single morning. That he's not going to wake me by shoving a carrot in front of my face or he's not going to oink repeatedly to get my attention.
He's not going to do anything because .. he's gone.

And to this day, it still haunts me. It always does.