Goodbye To Sky City

Questions filled my head whilst misery and grief filled others. Especially Lukas. I watched him as he cried.
Despite Aiden's tragic horrible flaws, it was clear to see that Lukas did love him.
And I took that from him.
I felt sick.
I stepped backward.
Ivor turned around to me "Jesse, are you alright?". Petra turned around to see too. I spoke convincingly toward both of them "Yes.. I'm fine.. I just need to check where this portal is"
"Come on, I'll show you" Petra walked away from Lukas and stepped toward me. She guided me down to where the portal entrance was. It looked exactly like the one from back home.
"If only we found this in the first place.."
"Yeah" Petra sighed "Maybe then Aiden wouldn't be dead.."
"Maybe.."
She looked at me and tried to sound more enthusiastic "But at least you found your mom, right? That's good"
"Not really" I frowned
"Why?"
"Because she's abandoning me again." I pushed back tears as much as I could. Even though I'd cried in front of Petra before, I didn't want her seeing it now.
"What do you mean?"
"She's staying here. She's not coming with us."
"Oh.."
"Yeah"
"Well.. Jesse, I mean, we can always visit her. I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand why you're mad. I would be too but don't forget, she is kind of like a founder. These people need leading and unfortunately for you, Isa's the only one who can do it"
I hated to admit it but..
Petra was right.
These people did need Isa.
I needed her too..
But maybe it was better if she wasn't around me. That if the truth ever came out about this, she wouldn't know. She wouldn't have a dissappointment of a daughter.
"I guess" I sighed as I shrugged. I was trying to make myself believe it, but I wasn't fine with it. Not really.
My head was far too jumbled up.
Petra placed her hand on my back "Come on. The most important thing right now is Lukas. He needs us more than anything right now"
God.. Lukas..
I nodded slightly as Petra and I returned to the crowds of people. Lukas was now stood with Isa, Ivor and Milo. He'd wiped his tears away but still look destroyed. Even if Aiden was a bastard, he still was Lukas' friend.
I could just explain to him right now.
That I killed Aiden but only because he killed Reuben.
Well.. he let Reuben die.
But to me - that was no difference.
I.. I just couldn't say this right now. I couldn't tell him now.
"Luke, you okay?" Petra asked comfortingly. I wanted to ask the same but couldn't. He shrugged "I know.. I know me and Aiden weren't great but.. but he was still my friend. No matter what he'd done, he was still my friend. God.. he's really gone isn't he?"
Milo put a hand on Lukas' back in sympathy "He's in a better place now kid."
"My thoughts precisely.." Ivor agreed.
I didn't say a word.
After a moment of silence, Isa spoke "Right.. well.. this is it then"
Her last words layed on me. This really was goodbye.
"Yes. It is." Ivor nodded "I'm not really one for goodbyes so... bye. I'll be at the portal waiting"
Without a breath, he took off. It was just us.
"How are you gonna re build your city?" Petra asked curiously. Isa cleared her throat "Well.. I'm sure that the subjects will be more than happy to follow my regime and-"
"I wouldn't be so sure about that" Milo butted in.
"What?"
"Not everyone wants to be bossed around Founder"
"I'm sorry, who are you?"
"Milo. Leader of the Build Club"
"Build Club?!"
Sensing the upcoming fight, Lukas sniffed "I'm.. I'm just gonna go to the portal.. See you guys there"
He walked away sadly. We watched after him for a moment before turning our attentions back to Milo and Isa. They were glaring at eachother whilst ranting.
"It just doesn't make sense!"
"Of course it does! Not everyone wants to be controlled!"
"And not everyone is a hooligan!"
"Alright that's enough!" Petra cut them both off. They both stared at her.
"Are you seriously gonna argue on how people should live their lives? I mean, Jesse just saved us all and we're leaving now. How about spending your time saying goodbye?"
Woah.
It felt weird to hear her stand up for me like that.
But I didn't need it.
Isa instantly looked apologetic "You're right Petra.. We can discuss this later.."
"Alright good!" Petra exclaimed "Well I'm heading to the portal now. It was nice to meet you Milo"
"And you too Petra" He nodded
"Nice to meet you Isa"
"Same goes for you" Isa smiled slightly. Petra gave me one last look of encouragement before heading to the portal. Milo held his hand out. "It's been a pleasure knowing you Jesse. Thank you for your help"
I nodded as I shook his hand. It was just me and Isa after Milo took off.
"I guess this is goodbye" She whispered.
"Yeah.."
"Goodbye for now. Because I don't intend on never seeing you again."
"What?"
"Seeing that.. that challenged poor boy made me realise that if you were in his position.. well, I couldn't bare it. I couldn't even comprehend it. That's why I want you to come back and visit. And I will do the same.. if you let me"
Hope lingered within her eyes.
In the end, she wasn't abandoning me. We were just parting for now.
"Yeah.. Sure.."
She smiled thankfully "Thank you Jesse" She pulled me closer into a hug.
I didn't fight it.
I didn't repel it.
I took it.
For a brief moment, I was in my mothers arms. And just for a moment, made me feel like everything was going to be okay. It was.
We pulled back as she smiled "You know, we have a saying here. May we meet again Jesse"
"May we meet again" I nodded, trying to be the most positive I could.
I wanted her to have a good memory of me, not a bad one.
Walking off, I threw my sword behind my back and headed to the portal. There waited an impatient Ivor, a broken Lukas and a worried Petra.
I had no idea what would be coming next for us.
The future was bleak and uncertain and dangerous.
Especially with this "WP" and Reginald knowing what I did.
But at least I had people with me who were clueless to who I really was. That in their heart of hearts could trust me.
Because lets face it, not even me, trusts me.