Proving Your Worth

"I'm the bad guy because I don't have feelings for you?"

I froze. I couldn't believe she'd said this out loud. What could I reply to that?
I couldn't. I huffed slightly raising my shoulders. Keeping my back to her, I quietly said stiffly "We need to see Milo now"
She groaned behind me and followed as we walked down the stairs to greet Milo who was stood there waiting for us.
"So do you have a plan Milo? Because our friends are still trapped up there"
"Yeah. I would like to save Lukas" Petra said from behind me. No shock she would want to save him, she never shut up about him.
Okay maybe that was a little harsh, but taking a trip down memory lane was taking a toll on my attitude.
"Yes well-"
Milo began but was cut off by a man calling him. He turned round, and as he did the citizens of Build Club also came too.
"Ah... hello my friends" He responded awkwardly as they surrounded him
A guy with glasses frowned "Bringing in outsiders? Seriously?"
"Pretty hard to keep this a secret if you just bring people in" The woman beside him added. I stepped forward and frowned as the builders gathered around Milo "You know.. we're builders too"
"Yeah Jesse's right... just chill out" Petra reassured as they stared at me, not believing a word I say. After our very heated much needed argument, I didn't realise she'd defend me. But maybe it was for her own benefit. Or for the others.
"We're the ones who built the bridge into town today" She announced proudly. Oh no. That was bad. Thunderous exclaims of shock and anger roared from the crowd. A girl with goggles directed her anger at Milo "Seriously Milo?! The most wanted criminals in town?!"
Huh.
We had been called many things - most wanted criminals was a new one to add to the list.
"We gotta turn them in before the guards break our door down!" She finished off as the others nodded. Petra butted in quickly "Well no... Let's not do that"
I had to agree. As much as I hated being this close to Petra right now, I would hate it even more to step back out there.
Milo cleared his throat as his voice over-ruled the others "Now now, I assure you harbouring these people is worth the risk. They are the epitomy of build club material!"
The crowd looked in suspicion before huddling up in a circle to discuss what to do with us. While they mumbled amongst themselves, Petra, Milo and I stood awkwardly.
A few seconds later, the first man who had originally questioned Milo faced me, almost squaring up to me "Okay. If what Milo's saying is true and you are these AMAZING builders-
("No need to be condesending", I thought to myself)
-Prove it"
"Yeah, build something." The woman spoke from behind.
Before I could say anything, Milo glared at the members "I will not have you disrespect my guests in this way!"
Confidently, I squared up to him right back in a overly polite manner "Not to brag, but I know my way around a crafting table. More that can be said for you people"
"Huh. How mighty of these outsiders. Lets see if you can back that up, criminal" He goaded. It made me want to punch him but I needed to work on my anger. Being angry wasn't getting me anywhere just a lately, especially not with Petra.
Walking up onto the platform, Milo looked at me "Look, we don't know that many recipes so just show us something from where you come from, for example!"
I nodded. I could do that. I hoped.
From the crowd, I heard Petra. "You're.. you're gonna be just fine Jesse"
Why was she being so supportive all of a sudden? Especially just after an argument. I couldn't question her now, not in front of all these people. But it did bug me.
Taking my eyes away from her, Milo handed me some iron "It took us many weeks to scrape this so please.. use it for your build"
Huh. Iron. Yeah I can work with that. Milo walked off the platform and it was just me. Many hungry eyes watching me, curious to see if I was this great builder. If I was worthy to them.
This felt just like the Building Competition again. That was, before Aiden ruined it and hurt Reuben. I wasn't gonna let him ruin it this time for me.
People began to shout "Build! Build! Build!" as I gathered together resources. Using the iron blocks and the iron ingots, I crafted.. an anvil. Pretty straightforward, but to them - it was golden.
Gasps emerged as the people stepped forward, admiring this new creation. A voice murmered "I think I've seen this before..." As Milo added "But we've never known how to craft one!"
I nodded "Using this, you can repair your tools. And other stuff"
I wonder if an anvil can repair a broken heart? Doubt it.
"I can understand why the guards are after you.. I mean that was awesome!" Another woman grinned happily at my creation as I stepped off the platform. Petra close by me as we faced the crowd.
I had no idea what her deal was. Was she trying to hurt me or just trying to keep the peace? With Petra, it was always unpredictable what her motives would be. They were mainly good, which is probably why I trusted- I mean trust her so well. Now I HAD to trust in her considering she was the only one here who I knew. Who I could rely on.. I think.
The people were nice enough though. In turn they apologised before I nodded "It's okay. It's fine... Now how about that whole getting us into the palace thing?"
Milo sighed "Unfortunately we cannot act just yet. The guards will be on high alert which means we should probably wait til tomorrow. Is that okay for you both?"

A night spent with strangers and the girl who rejected me? Sounded fabulous.