Chapter XIX

I felt myself swallow a big lump on my throat as I stared back into his chocolate brown eyes, never imagining myself in this situation with him before. I don't know what I did to him, only he knows, and he's been avoiding me before he could even tell me what I did. And I missed him, I fucking missed this bastard, and never in my whole life would I imagine him do this to me. 

It's like Jack all over again. 

"You did?" I felt myself stammer as Therese wrapped her arms on Alex's waist, kissing him on the cheek. I feel disgusted, both with her and with him, I can imagine she'd do this to me, but Alex... How could he? "Yeah," Alex snapped, his voice icy, like I never was his bestfriend. "What, are you gonna call Jack to defend you or something?" 

"Oh, she definitely should." A familiar voice made me turn around, as Jack glared at him. His eyes then fell back to me and he reached his arm out, wiping away the tears that I never realized were falling from my eyes. He pulled a small, reassuring smile, a smile only I could see, a smile that was meant only for me. Then, glaring once again, his eyes trained on Alex. "What's your problem?" "What's my problem?" Alex laughed sarcastically, as he pulled Therese's arm away from him and walked towards Jack. "You are. You used to be my bestfriend until you come whoring around with this slut." He said, his face turning to me as if pointing me when the word "slut" was mentioned. 

Silence ensued in the cafeteria as everyone's eyes turned to me, except for Jack and Alex. I felt my heart break into pieces. I don't know what I ever did to him, this is so unfair. I - I just want to go home. I want to go home and forget about Alex, forget about Therese, and maybe... maybe, forget about Jack too. 

I'm not safe here. Nobody will ever protect me. 

A howl of pain made me snap back to my senses, as I saw Alex stumble back towards an unsuspecting Therese, his hands in his cheek. My mind seemed to be buffering slowly as my eyes flew from him to Jack, whose left hand was outstretched and balled into a fist. Alex swore and stood up his ground, only to be stopped by Therese and a few other high schoolers. Rolling his eyes, finished with what he felt like he had to do, Jack turned towards me, gripping my hand gently and tugging me away from all the commotion.

"You fucking asshole!" We could hear Alex screaming from behind us, making my heart beat louder, tightening my breathing. "You're dead to me, okay? You and that fucking whore! We're not bestfriends anymore!"

I looked up at Jack, expecting him to let go of my hand, to be pissed, but his grip never loosened, his face never turned around towards his bestfriend; the one who just threw all the relationship they once cherished so much away. And I remember the memories Alex and I used to spend, from the library to our Sunday Starbucks tradition, and I knew those meant something more to me, those were one of the things that kept me alive back then, back when Jack used to be a total asshole and Therese was the living epitome of hell. 

And when I look at the Alex now, I realized how those meant nothing to him.

-x-

 "Jack, where are you taking me?" 

I tapped my foot impatiently as Jack drove me away from school. I knew this is wrong, I don't know what Jack is thinking, but I also can't understand why I'm so fine with it. If anything, I really appreciate him taking me away from that place. 

From the driver's seat, I could see Jack smirk lopsidedly as he stepped on the gas pedal. "It's a secret," he sang, making me roll my eyes. We were heading to a place where the sun was starting to set, filling the sky with a beautiful orange. I could feel myself staring at it, a smile was forming on my lips. I locked the image into my memory so that I could paint it in my canvas later this evening. I was so lost in the sunset that I didn't notice Jack had parked the car already. I flinched as he called my name, chuckling softly at my reaction. He left the driver's seat, slowly jogging to my side of the car, and he opens the door and reaches a hand out for me to take. 

He might not know how nice that is, but I do.

 "Thanks," I murmured shyly as I took his hand, allowing him to pull me up. He closed the door after me and took my hand, leading me to a place I've never even seen my whole life. The darkness was starting to fill the sky as the night started to envelop everything, making me gasp. 

There, a few feet away, was an outdoor restaurant. 

"Jack," I seem to have lost my voice as I turned to him slowly, my mouth agape. He smiled gently, taking my breath away as he reached for my hand. "Terri, please." he took a step towards me, closing the gap between the two of us. "Please let me take you out on a date tonight."

A/N: I knew this is short and I knew you were waiting for an update. But I have to focus on my academics and I only crammed this. I could make this longer, but at the same time I can't. I don't know. I'm sorry. But I swear the next chapter would be a bit longer,  love ya guys. :)