Chapter XX

A/N: I know, the music on their slow dance is sooo cliche, and some of you might've hated the song. I'm sorry. I can't think of anything good and I haven't updated in a week. (I always don't. I'm so sorry.) I'm sorry if this somewhat turned into a filler chapter, but it kind of helps progress the story. I hope you enjoy. 

"Jack, I really don't know how to answer that. I -" 

Jack pressed his thumb on my lips, effectively silencing me. I stared as his dark brown eyes sparkled in amusement, I'm sure he's enjoying how stupid I look right now. "Please," he whispers in my ear. "Let me take you out though I'm hardly worth your time." He softly made a grab of my hand and I could feel myself follow him, not having the guts to think about my decision anymore. 

He led me to a table that was decorated with a silk cloth and ribbons, and slowly jogged towards a chair and pulled it out for me. I could feel my face burn as I muttered my gratitude, I don't know why he's doing this, I don't know why he's exerting so much effort, and I don't know why I'm liking it so much. But I keep my eyes focused on his as he takes his seat on the chair opposite to mine, as if there was no other people around us. A waitress dressed in semi-corporate attire approached us and asked Jack for our orders, but Jack never looked at her for a second as they communicated. I could feel his eyes on mine when he asked me what I wanted, when he told her what we wanted, and when he thanked her for assisting us. 

And for some reason, I wanted it. 

I could feel his hands rest on mine over the table as he started talking about school, his band, and their plan to skip college to go on tour. I, in exchange, talked about my paintings and my artwork. There wasn't much to talk about me, I felt so embarrassed for talking about things that might not interest him, but he still listened to me intently anyway, something no man had ever done for me. And I may have been a bit too distracted but he never looked as good as he did tonight. 

-x-

"Terri?" 

"Huh?" I snapped awake from my small trance as I faced Jack. "Is something wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle and a bit worried. I had been watching some older people on the dance floor, watching as they basked in the ballroom music. I've never danced before, I always had to miss homecoming dances because I was too embarrassed that no one invited me, but I've always wanted to know how it feels like. 

But of course, I can't dance. 

Jack silently follows my gaze, his eyebrows raising up in realization. "Do you want to dance?" 

"No," I quickly stutter in embarrassment, my cheeks automatically burning up. "I mean, I - I can't dance." "You've never danced before?" he asked. I nodded slightly, hanging my head low right after. "Nobody ever invites me to be their date during Homecoming dances, so I wouldn't go so people won't make fun of me." 

Everything was silent for a few seconds as the music began to die down, followed by a music that's meant for slow dancing. I could feel movement, assuming Jack had stood up from his chair, and footsteps that were getting closer to mine. 

"Terri?" 

I slowly looked up, watching as Jack outstretched his arms and smiled at me. 

"Would you give me the honor of having your first dance with me?" 

"Take my hand, take a breath. Pull me close, and take one step..."

Oh my God. I can't believe this is happening. 

Jack pulls me closer to him as we stood awkwardly on the dance floor, I'm totally not ready for this, I don't know why I said yes, but I allow him as he wrap one arm around my waist and held my hand. I could feel my cheeks burning up and my eyes felt too heavy to lift up. I watched as our feet took a slow stride on the left, making sure that I won't mess up and step on him.