Chapter VIII

A/N: Fuck yes, Wifi’s back! Please expect me to update a lot more since I was close to never updating this fanfiction. So far, Besides “Guts” (Which was so far, the fic I’ve written that had the highest rating from you beautiful people), This is one of my favorite fics to make. I hope I’m not spoiling Terri’s image here. If so, I’m really sorry. L Midterm exams are here but  since I’m enjoying wifi glory, who gives a damn fuck? Vote, fan, comment, ENJOY!

“Here.” I said as I handed Jack a coffee. He muttered a small thanks, much to my surprise, and continued to glue his attention on the TV screen, where a rerun of ‘Home Alone’ was playing. I sat on the couch with a hot chocolate in my hands, next to him. “You know, this is my favorite movie.” He informed me as he handed me a blanket, which I took without saying anything.

I wasn’t here to know what your favorite movie is, Jack. I don’t even know why you’re not letting me get out of here.

Realizing that I wasn’t planning to play stupid with him, Jack sighs in frustration, his eyebrows furrowed. “I’m trying to be nice here, Terri.” He grunted.

A part of me found itself slamming the mug of hot chocolate on the table in front of the couch in anger. “Trying to be nice?” I repeated, poison swelling in every word. “You invaded my private space without saying anything. You didn’t even apologize. And then you pretend you didn’t do jackshit and just acted like you don’t even know me. You left me in this cruel town on my fucking own, Jack! Then your fucking girlfriend comes to class with me and ruins everything even from the very start. Do you know how hard everyday turned out for me? Did you know how much I had to suffer because of you and your stupid girlfriend, Jack? Do you?” A stinging sensation pierces through my eyes, making me blink. Thin, warm fluid started falling from my eyes, blurring my vision for a bit. Jack seemed taken aback; his eyes were staring at me in shock. That time, I thought he finally realized how much pain he had put me through – I really thought he was going to apologize.

I was so wrong.

His mouth closes into a disgusted scoff and he rolled his eyes. “Give me a break.” He muttered. “I’m sure it couldn’t be that bad.”

Asshole.

I don’t know what’s making Jack say all those words. I wanted to understand him, I really do. I just wanted to convince myself he was under the influence of alcohol. I wanted to be the sensible kid that I always tried to be and I was really doing a good job of it – until now. How dare he say that to me? He was never there when Therese and her gang would round up on me. He was never there when they call me names and make fun of the way I look. He was never there when they grab me by the collar and shove me to the lockers, never there when I was pleading for help as their feet and fists collide on my stomach, on my face, on anywhere.

He was never there. And I will never, ever forgive him.

I raise my hand and slapped him so hard, two of my bracelets that were covering my left wrist got thrown off my hand and into the wall; breaking it. Jack mutters some sort of curse word as he holds his cheek, swollen. Even by taking a deep breath, the air still kept on leaving my body. The tears that I was trying so hard to hold back just kept getting more and more by the second. With a shaky breath, I forced a smile as my eyes started to sting. “Alright. I get it, Jack.” I tried to keep my voice from trembling, but my lips were quivering so hard, the words that were coming out of my mouth were barely audible. “I get it. I was nothing but shit to you, and you want nothing to fucking do with me. My life became hell, but you didn’t care. You didn’t.” I pressed on before he could even protest. Jack just stares at me with his mouth agape. Another sigh escapes my lips as I blink, what’s left of the tears in my eyes began to fall down, making my cheeks warm. “But don’t ever…” I open my eyes to glare at him.

“Don’t you dare ever talk like you knew how shit went bad for me, ‘cause you don’t.”

Without waiting for a response, I grab my car keys and head towards the door. “Terri, wait.” I could hear him call, his voice back to that innocent tone like before.

But I’m not going to be fooled anymore.

I yank the door open, not listening to any of his pleas. The cold air swept through my face, making my dried tears colder than they were before; but I don’t notice any of it. Halfway towards my car, I heard the door to Jack’s front door open, making me break into a run towards my own car as if it was my sanctuary. I open the driver’s seat and get in, turning the ignition on before giving Jack a final glance. His expression was unreadable as his eyes stared into mine, intensely. He opened his mouth to say something when he caught me looking at him, but I don’t want to hear it. I step on the gas pedal and sped away.

-x-

Class began a few days after my incident with Jack, and life became the same the way it always did – with Therese constantly making me feel like a human punching bag, Alex meeting me up at the library when Therese was with her boyfriend doing God knows what, and Jack being the same douchebag he always was – only I keep catching him staring at me. I continued to pretend like it didn’t bother me, walking straight ahead whenever we pass by each other.

The cold air hit me as I dipped my paint in brown, letting me the savor the weekend doing the thing I missed doing the most, which was painting. I realized that ever since class started, I’ve totally forgotten to spend my time painting. A relaxing feeling swept over me as I added detail to her hair, smiling as her nostalgic face smiled back at me. For once, I was at peace, and I was so convinced that nothing could ever ruin this day.

The door slid open, hinting me that my father entered the room, which he always does when I’m painting in my little private haven. A small sigh escapes my lips, but making no move to recognize him. I cleaned my brush into the jar of water beside me, tainting it brown, and splashed my brush into the palette with the light blue paint in it. I’ve always loved that color; it always reminded me of her eyes. I could feel my dad’s intense gaze on the picture, something he knew I hated him to do. “Dad, for the hundredth time, I don’t want you staring at my paintings.” I snapped as I turned around to those familiar, chocolate brown eyes and black, skunk-like hair. As if done on reflex, I gasp and stand up, my palette falling down on the floor, leaving a mess of brown, flesh and blue on the floor.

“We need to talk.” Jack said.